Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 2 yr old is miserable..

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:49 PM
  • 7 Replies

This time of the year is worse for his eczema. Right now it is flared really bad on his feet and legs. They are to the point where they are raw from him scratching them so much. He is on anti itch meds 4times a day and they are not helping with the itch right now.

I have heard people say that 1/2 a cup of bleach in bath water will help ease the itching. Is this ok to do with open wounds due to his scratching? I would think it would make it burn really bad..

Ive tried cold wash rags and he refuses to have them on him. We have done the soak-n-seal in the past with great results. He wont leave it on now.So it is pointless. I have taped socks on his feet to try to prevent them from getting raw but it bites the tape off or scratches through them. HELP!! He is so miserable Im hurting for him. I have his nails cut as short as I cant get them, but he still is tearing his feet and legs up. :(

He itches then screams from the pain. Any advice?

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
KelliansMom
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:52 PM

gloves?? maybe he will wear them will that help ... im not really sure what else to do my son has a bit of skin dryness that bothers him but its not as bad as your sons and he is usually fine after an oatmeal bath 

Cara5
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Poor baby... I have one with bad eczema too.  :(  

Oatmeal baths with powder milk and lots of cornstarch go a long way.  Put him in a pair of tights under his shorts or jumper so he cant get to his skin and then keep him distracted.   My LO seems to get relief/enough distraction from swimming as well.  

Id stay away from the bleach...open wounds or not that sounds like a bad idea. 

DD is 9 now, so she is easier to distract... letting her play video games ususally keeps her hands off her scabs, but shes found that rubbing an ice cube on it instead os scratching helps too.

good luck.  

kristinaleann
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:59 PM

My mother in law suggested cornstarch also. She said that she had heard that before.. What does it do for the skin? Do you think it would be ok with him having the open wounds? Im going to soak him in the tub here in a min, but that never helps him. He is still countionsly scratching while in the water.

Quoting Cara5:

Oatmeal baths with powder milk and lots of cornstarch go a long way.  Put him in a pair of tights under his shorts or jumper so he cant get to his skin and then keep him distracted.   My LO seems to get relief/enough distraction from swimming as well.  

DD is 9 now, so she is easier to distract... letting her play video games ususally keeps her hands off her scabs, but shes found that rubbing an ice cube on it instead os scratching helps too.

good luck.  

kristinaleann
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Thanks for the advice, but we have tried gloves. They are too easy to take off. Now if I used super glue to hold them on it would work lol

Quoting KelliansMom:

gloves?? maybe he will wear them will that help ... im not really sure what else to do my son has a bit of skin dryness that bothers him but its not as bad as your sons and he is usually fine after an oatmeal bath 

bellaamore
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:01 PM

coconut oil and jergens milkd soap. Also, give him some omega 3 supplements, it works wonders for us.

bellaamore
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:02 PM

My grandmother used to do the bleach thing with me, dried my skin further.. hurt so bad.

Quoting Cara5:

good luck.  

Whisper85
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Make a fine paste of 1 tsp camphor and 1 tsp sandalwood, apply it to the affected areas. Also when you give him a bath don't scrub him dry, just pat him dry. My 3 year old used to have it really bad. Also try the gold bond lotion in the green bottle, it helps get rid of it and helps with the itching! sometimes i use witch hazel I just apply it with a cotton ball, works wonders!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)