Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What should I do???

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:01 PM
  • 6 Replies

My 5 year old son was in a car accident 2 months ago. I was at work when it happened so I met the ambulance there because I was over an hour from the hospital and 2 hours from accident.  He was fine other than a huge knot on his head and 2 black eyes.  The problem is he has started talking about death, scared that I will leave and not come back, having nightmares, and potty accidents at school and home.  Is this something that I should take him to talk to someone about or just hope it passes???  I feel helpless at helping him deal with whatever is bothering him.

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Habibti812
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:02 PM

I would take him to someone to talk about his feelings. It sounds like he is not able to process what he's feeling and a professional may be able to help him with that. ((hugs)) poor little guy.

momof3angela
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:03 PM
I would seek counseling for him now. It will really help him and you. I am so sorry he was in a car accident.
britters4423
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:03 PM

It probably wouldnt hurt just to be sure, ya know? When I was 7 I was in a really bad car accident where it started raining hard and the car went off the side of a high bridge and landed in a creek, so of course the creek was filling up too. I only broke my upper arm, close to my shoulder...thank god that was all. But still to this DAY, im scared of bridges. I think any traumatic event effects small kids like that in some way. I wish you luck! 

MOTHERofTHR3383
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:06 PM
My oldest son use to do that too and it scared me, I called his father and asked him about it....well my sons stepmothers nephew died fron cancer when he was like 3 I think. His father said that he told our son he had passed away but never went to the funeral ir grave site. So still to this day idk why he would talk about it, but he says things now like mommy I don't want u to die, I want u to live forever! But he doesn't talk about it much anymore!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jabs54
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:14 PM

I'm glad he wasn't seriously hurt!  I think it would be a good idea if he could talk to a counselor.  They might know better than you how to help him, kwim?  Good luck.

Oddyssey
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Well, first of all, I'm so glad that he's not hurt any worse than he is!  Thank goodness he's ok! 

I'd definitely get him some councelling.  But you should certainly reassure him that it was just an accident and that everything is ok now.  I'm not sure what your beliefs are, but if you have a good strong spiritual belief, it may be a good time to discuss it with him.  If not, maybe it's a good time to find one and have him learn with you. 

If that's not your cup of tea, (although I would suggest it) then I'd still talk things out with him.  Get him to understand that you're not going anywhere, not yet, anyway, and that although life can be uncertain at times, that you still love him and that he can trust in that love above all else.

I hope all goes well with him.  Look into some therapy for him, at least for a little while, and give him lots of hugs!

hugs

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)