Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Black moles/melanoma

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:52 PM
  • 10 Replies
I noticed a black mole under my boob over 6 months ago. I went to the dermatologist today and had the dr look at it. She immediately looked concerned and said she wanted to biopsy it and send it off for tests. So they numbed it up and cut if off. I will know the results in 2 weeks. The anesthetic they gave me has completely worn off and it's hurting really bad now. I haven't taken the bandaid off cause I'm scared to see what it looks like under it. Now I am all worried it is going to come back as melanoma....and the fact it has been there at least 6 months. Maybe longer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofne
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:03 PM

My friend had something like that on her back. It did turn out to be melanoma BUT she got it removed and hasn't had anything reacure. Try not to worry too much about it. {{{HUGS}}}

LancesMom
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:25 PM

hugsHope everything is ok!

teenmomoftwins4
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:28 PM
Keep us updated! Good luck hun *hugs*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bettysmurf88
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:33 PM
my sister had it on her face and it was mela and they removed it and hasnt come back and hers was there for a good three yrs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamakenzi
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:16 AM

Well first of all melanoma isn't the only type of skin cancer.  But I really don't feel the need to scare you so I won't go into that.  Most of the time the moles and spots are benign, the doctor just removes it and life goes on.  And even on the off chance it is cancerous the vast majority of the time it's caught early enough that the doctor can remove it all and everything will be fine.  Usually none of it's even done in a hospital.

This is a topic that I am educated on.  My mom has had several spots removed and a couple of cancer surgeries but don't let that freak you out.  Her's is from DECADES of unprotected sun exposure.

MissyButtons
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 10:01 AM

About 6 months ago, I had a mole on the inside of my arm that had changed. It used to be a full circle, then it started to change into a 2 different moles, one black, one red/brown. The dermatologist also said they were concerned and wanted to biopsy it.When the numbing stuff wore off, I remember it hurting like a mother also. Anyway, 2 weeks later, it came back completely fine. Not even precancerous.

From what my dermatologist told me is that even if it is melanoma, chances are you've caught it in time. Best of luck to you!

MissyButtons
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Quoting mamakenzi:

Well first of all melanoma isn't the only type of skin cancer.  But I really don't feel the need to scare you so I won't go into that.  Most of the time the moles and spots are benign, the doctor just removes it and life goes on.  And even on the off chance it is cancerous the vast majority of the time it's caught early enough that the doctor can remove it all and everything will be fine.  Usually none of it's even done in a hospital.

This is a topic that I am educated on.  My mom has had several spots removed and a couple of cancer surgeries but don't let that freak you out.  Her's is from DECADES of unprotected sun exposure.

I'm glad you said this. My dad also has had a bout with melanoma on his neck, but he literally let the weird looking mole ( a normal mole turned into a weird shape the size of a quarter) for literally at least TEN years without getting it checked out.

sweettigeress
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 10:12 AM

I'm sorry mama. keep us updated.

momof3angela
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 11:04 AM

I am praying you get good news and please keep us posted when you get the results back.

JC2223
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2011 at 11:10 AM

I see a dermatologist twice a year for my moles. I'm covered in them and have had over 20 removed in the last few years. All have come back negative. It's scary waiting on the results. Follow your dermatologist advice, get yourself checked regularly if you have a lot of moles like me. As far as the pain...yea it hurts, but will heal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)