Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Discipline and a 2 yr old?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:36 PM
  • 9 Replies

My son is going thru this phase where he is constantly back talking and telling me to shut up.  Ihave tried time outs I have tried a pop on the mouth (not hard either) and I have tried talking to him.  He is spitting and just being unruly.  Yes I understand that he is 2 but this is ridiculous! I do NOT want to spank and I am out of ideas....Please help!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
NoraDun
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:59 PM

HA I wish I thought my 2 yr old ever told me to shut up!!!! My 5 yr old has never said it either...I believe in spankings...and if he told me this he would surely get one and then put to bed!

NoraDun
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Oh my gosh he spits too...Wow!

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:08 AM

take something away from him that he likes...like if he carries a special stuffed animal, or toy, action figure, whatever!! take it away from him...have you tried a reward chart?  give him stickers or something, and at the end of a few days if he has been good, take him to the dollarstore, or let him pick something fun to do as a reward...but if he DOES do something naughty,  then he has to start all over again! 

mamakenzi
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:11 AM

I spank, and I do spank over that behavior.  I suppose you could ignore him but I don't feel that is a very effective approach.

bbmkfo03
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:19 AM

It's probably a phase but still it needs to be addressed. Whatever technique you use, you have to be consistent with it. Like if you decide to try time outs you have to do it for several days as the only form of punishment to see if it will really work or not, so that he learns negative behavior will get him put in the corner. It doesn't work for every child. He might just be looking for attention so make sure to make a big deal about his good behavior and reward him for that.

Also, are there any major changes going on at home? Death of a loved one, a move, new baby? This could be his way of dealing with a big change.

Mommy4000
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:21 AM

Time outs work, as long as you do them correctly and consistently.

Sweets27
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:27 AM

I am firm with my almost 2 yr old. He tried hitting me today. I hold his hand down and tell him NO hitting and he will get time out. I tell him to say sorry too. Sometimes he wants to throw himself on the floor and I put him down on the floor and I walk away. He usually comes back running to me. He knows I won't pay attention to that tantrum. My oldest (5) tries to test me sometimes and I will spank his behind if he's disrespectful to me. My boys spit when they are playing together and I make them clean up their spit so that has stopped.

momof3angela
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 10:40 AM

I would just keep being persistent and constant with time outs.  Don't give up.

mlmartinez
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 2:56 PM

I just read this to my DF (Blake's dad) and we think that the reward chart is a great idea! I am going to walmart later and we will be making it together! I am thinking that for a start every 3 days without a major problem (i.e. spitting or hitting) he will get to pick out a new toy.  Hopefully this will work.  I am going to continue time outs and then discussing it after and his dad wants to continue the pop on the mouth for spitting and 'swearing'.

I alwasy feel horrible to be hitting but he needs to know that it is unacceptable and he kind of likes timeouts...he will occasionally put himself in time out then walk away giggling....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)