Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

work situation: should i bring this up to management or should i "be a man" lol

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:20 PM
  • 20 Replies
I work at a distribution center and like any job there are great people to work with and just the opposite. Well one chick i work with screams "unproffesional" and is not pleasant to work with. I usually just suck it up but i dont want to work with her anymore. She curses like a sailor, talks trash about others, i once overheard her talk about her dildo to some guy... not work appropriate imo lol. Should i discuss this with management or would that make me a tattle tail?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jabs54
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:26 PM

It depends on what kind of relationship you have with your boss.  If you think they would label you a "tattle tail" it could make your life worse. 

Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:27 PM

If you have worked there long enough to establish a comfortable relationship with management, then it needs to be brought up. I'd probably go at it from my point of view rather than overtly complain about the other employee, though- something such as you feel uncomfortable about inappropriate language and subjects from one of your coworkers. 

firemouse23
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:33 PM

If it is making you uncomfortable then I would bring it up to the boss.  Just let the boss know that you don't mind some of the talk but it is getting worse and making you a bit uncomfortable and you never want to know about someone's sex toys.  If your boss is worth anything...they will talk to the person and tell them to tone it down a bit and that should be it.  It is all a matter of how you approach it to the boss though.  If you come in like a prude you will be labled a tattle tail.  If you just bring it up as you don't mind some of the talk but the extreme stuff needs to go then you should not be labled as anything.  Good Luck

kikibix
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Does your work have a code of conduct that outlines how employees are expected to behave? Read over it and see if she's breaking any of those rules.  Point out to management that you and a few other employees are bothered by someones behaviour and ask that they remind everyone what workplace conduct should be.  I would not name names, just ask them to have a general meeting about this and hopefully the trash talker will see herself in this. or annonymously slip a note in her locker/desk highlighting the rules she's breaking.

cp2009
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:35 PM

tough one... it doesn't sound like she is one for caring what others think anyhow. Maybe you could bring it up in a matter of fact kind of way, just conversation with your boss not a complaint..

Owl_Feather
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:36 PM
I havent been there but 3 months but the management is wonderful and all about a laid back open door policy. If i do decide to talk to them how should i approach it without sounding like a big complainer
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SinsOfTheMother
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:37 PM
I like this idea!

Quoting kikibix:

Does your work have a code of conduct that outlines how employees are expected to behave? Read over it and see if she's breaking any of those rules.  Point out to management that you and a few other employees are bothered by someones behaviour and ask that they remind everyone what workplace conduct should be.  I would not name names, just ask them to have a general meeting about this and hopefully the trash talker will see herself in this. or annonymously slip a note in her locker/desk highlighting the rules she's breaking.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Owl_Feather
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:40 PM
I like the "general conduct" idea so as not to point fingers and get my ass kicked lol she is a tough girl and no she doesnt care about what others say. She'd probably tell off the boss
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Owl_Feather
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:24 PM
BUMP
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
okhsmom
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Does their behavior prevent you from doing your work?  If not, I'd keep my mouth shut and do my job.  If I said anything, it would be to the coworkers first.  Its always most professionally to follow the chain of command. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)