Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You Were Right! Advice, please.

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:28 PM
  • 12 Replies

Yes, it’s me again. I wanted to update and ask for advice on the situation with my daughter (if any of you were fortunate enough to miss my post yesterday the background story is here: http://www.cafemom.com/group/advice/forums/read/13817609/Youve_Gotta_be_Kidding_Edit)

So, she had her doctor’s appointment first thing this morning, and her doctor looked at her for about ten minutes before sending her for blood tests. Well, it turns out many of you all were right. She has mono. They also did another complete blood count thing and we just found out that her red blood cell count is still really low (from the anemia). I don’t think I have to tell you that she’s pretty sick.

I’ve never had mono, so I’d really appreciate any and all advice on what to expect, what to watch out for or how to help her feel better. I will, of course, be frantically googling, but I do appreciate advice from, you know, real people. I’m also really worried because the doctor weighed her and she’s lost about six pounds in the last two weeks, and this kid doesn’t have any weight she can afford to lose.

Anecdotally, a relative bright spot in the day came when the doctor attempted to tease her (good-naturedly) about the mono. It was the standard, “So who’ve you been kissing? Hardy har har.” Cameron blushed as I’ve never seen her blush and muttered the guiltiest, “Nobodyyyyy...”. I’ll worry about that when she’s feeling a little better. Teenagers, I swear...

Anyway, thank you all so much for your patience. I’m sure it must get tiring to read about stuff like this all the time. I don’t need a pity party, just a little advice, if you’ve any to share. Thank you.

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starfilled
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:34 PM

She's going to be very run down for awhile... A big concern with mono is splenomegaly (an enlarged spleen).  If she is hurt while her spleen is enlarged, it can cause splenic rupture (I know you said she plays a sport of some kind).  The recovery varies... Treatment is much like flu treatment, rest, fluids, etc.  It just takes awhile.  I was out of commission for almost 3 months but only missed 2 weeks of school and work.  I was working full time at the time and taking college courses (got it at 17 just after HS graduation).  If I wasn't at school or at work, I was asleep.  I lost 15 lbs and I was a very thin girl to begin with.  Hang in there and be there for her.  Sorry it was mono, but at least you now know what it is.

SouthTxPrincess
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:36 PM
im so sorry ur dd is going through this ive had mono and it sucked but i dont really remember details i hope she feels better soon. p.s. i got it from the water fountains at school! ewww right?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lytate95
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Quoting SouthTxPrincess:

im so sorry ur dd is going through this ive had mono and it sucked but i dont really remember details i hope she feels better soon. p.s. i got it from the water fountains at school! ewww right?

Very 'ewww'. Sorry to hear that. I actually suspect she might have gotten it from her soccer team. I know she shares water with her friends. I just thought her response to the kissing thing was kind of funny.

Habibti812
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Awww.. I hope she feels better soon! I remember my best friend got mono in High school and she was very run down for a long time... And she was always talking about her spleen.. for months and months after- that she had to take it easy! Hopefully your DD will be feeling better ASAP!

crazynut
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:31 PM

SLEEP SLEEP SLEEP... let her sleep!! I had it after my 3rd child.... Aubree when she was 5months old...... it took me 6 months to recover... it was terrible, i was the worst mom ever.... but on top of mine I got menegitist.... so dbl whammy...

Just let her sleep, weight loss happens... I would say a good 2 weeks home from school... and one thing I found out about mono is that its a live virus, and can live anywhere... you can live forever on magazine or anywhere.. So say she licks a magazine page with the mono and then 3 months later you do, you can come down with it.. .yeah.. I have now had it 3 times in my life time and it stinks...

your very tire, and I actually had my splen swell up and had to spend 4 days in the hospital.....

lost of rest is what she needs.. when she ready to eat, feed her lots of protien food...

Sorry to hear about this.. Mono is no fun!!

AngelicMommy_72
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:34 PM
My little ex sis in law (she was 10 at the time) got it and was outta school for monthssss..... Like two maybe even three months.... The school would not let her back without a clean bill of health...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:40 PM

i know a couple of things... she will be tired a lot and most likely miss a lot of school... once you have it you always have it. you cannot join the military if you have mono.

KelliansMom
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Quoting lilmama8408:

i know a couple of things... she will be tired a lot and most likely miss a lot of school... once you have it you always have it. you cannot join the military if you have mono.

you can still join the military even if you have had mono thats not on the list or reasons they will not let you join im sure if she was wanting to join tomorrow they wouldnt let you but if its been years you should be fine

BE BOLD check your husbands balls, early detection is the key to saving a life     

MOD  of  Join us in First Time Moms!

lytate95
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Quoting KelliansMom:

Quoting lilmama8408:

you can still join the military even if you have had mono thats not on the list or reasons they will not let you join im sure if she was wanting to join tomorrow they wouldnt let you but if its been years you should be fine

Darn. I got my hopes up for a second, lol. I thought perhaps some good might come out of this after all.

KelliansMom
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:53 PM

just let her sleep ...go easy even on the days she feels better...my sister just got over mono and a vitamen d deficiancy  she just needed lost of sleep for a while 

Quoting lytate95:

Quoting KelliansMom:

Quoting lilmama8408:

Darn. I got my hopes up for a second, lol. I thought perhaps some good might come out of this after all.

BE BOLD check your husbands balls, early detection is the key to saving a life     

MOD  of  Join us in First Time Moms!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)