Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you get your toddler to eat?!

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:13 PM
  • 10 Replies

DS just turned three and we have the toughest time getting him to eat or try anything!  He won't even try food. It's not like we are making him eat rabbit food... we try to get him to eat spigetti, pizza.. basic junk food! Things he won't refuse are chicken nuggets, popcorn and those little fruit snacks.  

If he doesn't eat his dinner he doesn't get anything else to eat but I've tried everything it seems. Any advice?

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Gold Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Keep offering small portions. What we did at first was required them to eat a certain number of bites of their food. Like 3 bites, then we slowly worked our way up in the number of bites.  Now they have to eat all their veggies and usually half their main dish to get up from the table.

kaydens_mamma
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:17 PM
Does everyone suit at the table to easy as a family? Usually if a toddler sees his parents eating it, he will too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tlcpetsitter360
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:18 PM

let him see you try it first say "mmm yummy" and offer it to him. :)

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:18 PM

He won't starve himself.  Feed him when he's hungry.  I know its tough!  DD does that too....my hubby says he doesn't understand why I fix her plate like I do, but if I don't then she may never try something.  Keep offering and he will eventually try something and like it.  My DD could live off of PNB right now or cheese or yogurt or chicken!  hahahaha......but at dinner she gets whats on her plate or nothing at all.  (that is what her pedi said to do)  Some times she will eat or nibble or nothing.  I've even tried bribing with dessert, and that doesn't even help.  Oh well!  Like I said, toddlers will eat when they are hungry.........  Good luck and God bless......

Sharon7772
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:19 PM

My DS won't eat anything green, so I bought him the Bolthouse Farms "Green Goodness" juice from the refridgerated section of the grocery store.

It has Broccoli, Spinach, Kelp, and a ton of other great stuff, but Fruit juice too, so it tastes good. He drinks it right down without a clue ;)

You may want to put it in a solid colored sippy cup so he can't see it.

I also make my son Carnation instant breakfast's (sugar free), and yogurt smoothies, to make sure he's getting all of his nutrients. I must be doing something right, he's a big boy!!

Twinkies2010
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:19 PM
Maybe foods of vibrant colors? Or food art to make dinner fun?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cashybum
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:24 PM

All I ask of him is 1 bite! The second I pick up the fork its like "HELL NO!" He buries his face.

busymom64064
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Hey my son's name is Mason and he is exactly like how your son is. If you find something that works please let me know because I am trying to figure that one out myself :-)

mamakenzi
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Honestly I would only good one meal and offer it to him.  If he doesn't eat that is his choice.  He will eat when he gets hungry enough.

momof3angela
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 3:56 PM

this has worked for my kid's.

Quoting mamakenzi:

Honestly I would only good one meal and offer it to him.  If he doesn't eat that is his choice.  He will eat when he gets hungry enough.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)