Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DD is scared. *Update*

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:33 PM
  • 25 Replies

Every night I put my DD3 to bed at night she cries these big crocodile tears that she is scared.  It breaks my heart...I don't know what to do.  After I put her to bed is my time to do homework and or relax.  She begs me to come upstairs with "Please mommy, please mommy" in the saddest voice ever.  I try to put her back in bed and reassure her, but I don't want her sleeping with me EVERY night.  I don't mind sometimes, but I need good sleep to...as does she.  Any suggestions please...PLEASE mommas PLEASE:)

I added an update in replies but thought I would add it here..

I have asked her what she is afraid of and she said the skeleton.  I had one for halloween awhile ago and got rid of it a few months ago...Apparently she remembers it.  She also said the nose on her bear is scratchy and scares her.  She has my office that is connected to her room and that light stays on all night for her.  It gives plenty of light into her room...even into the hallway.  I caved tonight and let her sleep with me because she is hysterical.  She said she was scared of the fire alarm...

Any more suggestions now that you have details?

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
C8Baxter
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:34 PM
Does she have a nightlight?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
madcrazymom
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:35 PM
What is she scared of?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kellie.2
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:37 PM

I either lay in bed with them until they fall asleep and then put them into their beds or I put them to sleep on the couch and then move them to their beds...to me sometimes they need that comfort of being close

Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Ask her what she is scared of. Leave at least one nightlight on, and even the room light if needed.

imgnabamommy
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:39 PM

maybe you could stay with her in her room til she falls alseep and gradually move away from the side of her bed a foot or two each night til you are sitting at the door then out the door. I'd also suggest a night light and maybe a stuffed animal that she can snuggle with, take her to the store and let her pick out her new cuddle friend.

lytate95
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Do you have any idea exactly what it is she's afraid of? I know it may sound like a bit of a stupid question, but both of my kids were scared to go to sleep when they were between the ages of 3 and 7 for very different reasons. I always assumed that they were both scared of the dark. My son was, but it turned out he was also afraid I would die or leave him while he was asleep (long story, he's better now). With my daughter, it turned out to be horrible nightmares, rather than fear of dark or monsters or something.

I think knowing exactly what's upseting her would be a good place to start. : /

brandy.emily
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:43 PM

I have asked her what she is afraid of and she said the skeleton.  I had one for halloween awhile ago and got rid of it a few months ago...Apparently she remembers it.  She also said the nose on her bear is scratchy and scares her.  She has my office that is connected to her room and that light stays on all night for her.  It gives plenty of light into her room...even into the hallway.  I caved tonight and let her sleep with me because she is hysterical.  She said she was scared of the fire alarm...

Any more suggestions now that you have details?

Ariellasmom
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:45 PM
Ask her what she is scared of.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brandy.emily
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:46 PM

bump for update

Rychelle
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:47 PM

is she really scared or is she using it as a way that she knows you will come get her cuz if shes "scared" its ok to sleep with you.. i ask cuz my 3 yr old son did this for a while.. hed fight going to bed.. then ask to sleep with me.. and when all else failed hes say he was scared, so i would let him come in my bed.. I caught on quickly lol. so i started going into his room and laying with him in there to still let him know id comfort him but know mommys bed isnt for him..he has his own and it got him used to being in his own bed again. but if she really is scared.. fill a water squirt bottle up with "magic moster spray" and have her spray it all over the room to make the scary stuff disapear forever..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)