Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

increasing BM supply

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:26 AM
  • 22 Replies

so i had a good supplu up until yesterday. im thinking of trying some type of suppliment to increase my supply while pumping to get it to come back. i saw the side affects for fenugreek and mothers milk and its a bit scary....

what are your opinions and what have you tried?

I'm a pro-life, spanking, circing, co-sleeping, selective and delayed vaxing, disposable diapering, pumping and formula giving, tattooed, Christian, non-church going, pansexual, pierced, open minded, coupon clipping, homemade meal making, single mom.

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessistarr85
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 3:27 AM

I drank the mothers milk tea and lots of water and gatoriad.

aamommy2011
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:45 AM

how long before it started working?

Quoting jessistarr85:

I'm a pro-life, spanking, circing, co-sleeping, selective and delayed vaxing, disposable diapering, pumping and formula giving, tattooed, Christian, non-church going, pansexual, pierced, open minded, coupon clipping, homemade meal making, single mom.

Katt709
by Katharine on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:55 AM
Oatmeal- everyday! It works within hours!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KelliansMom
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:56 AM

oatmeal does wonders :) 

Aqua_Jen
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:01 AM
Oatmeal (add it to everything!) and stay well hydrated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hws060504
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:04 AM

I eat oatmeal daily.  Drink lots of water. It helps to stay hydrated!  I took fenugreek and blessed thistle supplements with my first son, and will do it again when I need a boost in supply with this one.  It worked in about 24 hours and gave a nice boost.  I also drink mother's milk tea daily.  

jessistarr85
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Quoting aamommy2011:

how long before it started working?

Quoting jessistarr85:

With me everything was fine for the first month, then all the sudden one day I had nothing at all. I had not changed my diet or slacked off on drinking water. My dr wrote me a precription for redlin, and told me to drink the mothers milk tea 4-6 times a day. With in a day or so my supply started coming back, but it never came back enough for me to only bf. I was able to bf untill my son was 7 months old, but after that point no mater how hydrated or how much tea I drank, it was just gone. After the the first month bf was a  huge challange for me, but I really diddn't want to stop, I would pump inbetween feedings, to try to increese my supply, but it just seamed like no matter what I did, I would only have enough milk to nurse or pump 3-4 times a day. It broke my heart that I could not bf any more.  I really hope you have better luck then I did. If you try all of the things everyone sugested, and it is still not enough, talk to your dr

MamaCeleste0722
by Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:43 PM
What are you using to determine that you have supply issues? Many times, moms are looking at the wrong things to determine supply. As long baby is getting enough diapers, supply is fine! In general though, the more you nurse, the more you will make.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aamommy2011
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:17 PM

well im not nursing. im pumping. we've had latch issues from the beginning even after trying everything textbook. but realizing im not making enough is that he can drink 3 oz and be satisfied, but im making less and having to make 2-4oz extra of formula because hes still rooting and crying of hunger

Quoting MamaCeleste0722:

What are you using to determine that you have supply issues? Many times, moms are looking at the wrong things to determine supply. As long baby is getting enough diapers, supply is fine! In general though, the more you nurse, the more you will make.

MamaCeleste0722
by Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:46 PM
How old is your baby? How often are you pumping and what kind of pump do you have?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)