Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need your expert opinion, please. TMI.

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:42 AM
  • 11 Replies
I just had a d&c Wednesday because I was bleeding and passing tissue a long time after birth. I also had a hysteroscopy. They said there is always a chance they could preforate the uterus and surrounded organs. My question is, I've been incredibly bloated, belchy and gassy since the surgery and it is an awful smell. I rarely pass gas or belch normally so I was wondering if anybody knew why this is? Is there a chance they accidently cut my bowel or something? Sorry if this wasTMI.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:46 AM
How long ago was it? I've heard when they have to open you up for stuff like that they have to put gas in to expand. When I had my appendix out, I had rotten smelling gas for 3 weeks. Same for MIL when she had her hysterectomy years ago.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
myfoursonsks
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Did they puts you under anesthesia? If so, it will often slow up your digestive system and cause some problems.  When they released you, they should have given you a list of things to watch for that may be signs of an emergency.

tbosgirl
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:49 AM

When was it? They move so much stuff  around and it can take some time for your bowels to settle back in.

Usually a perforated bowel will show it's ugly face in a matter of hours after eating the first time. Your belly will become hard and rigid and it will be an intense pain. It will also cause fever.

myfoursonsks
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:51 AM

I don't think they actually open you up for a D&C or a hysteroscopy do they?  They just dilate the cervix and go in that way.

I am still going to say it is a side effect of the anesthesia.  Call you doc though.

Mrs_Mommy1316
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:52 AM
Just this past Wednesday. They put me under anesthesia completely.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bbmkfo03
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:53 AM

I'd call the doctor just to be on the safe side.

Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:56 AM

I agree with checking with your doctor. I suspect it is the gas they used to make the area they were working on easier to see.

nowaygourmet
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:01 AM

i've had 4 surgeries. 3 were abdominal, one of which was a hysterectomy. mine was very invasive as they were taking everything, cutting out cancer and taking biopsies all at the same time. i had horrible gas with all 3 abdominal surgeries. the smell is terrible but they told me i would have smelly gas. my stomach felt hard for awhile but it was the gas. it just took time to get enuf gas out that my stomach wasn't so bloated and hard with gas.

tbosgirl
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:04 AM

They don't usually have to open your abdomen unless they have a hard time dilating you. I watched one in the OR and the doctor was pretty rough. In PACU, the nurse told her she would be pretty gassy.

LandonsMom1114
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:06 AM
It's completely normal. They pit gas inside of you (don't know what its called exactly) so they can see clearly while doing to surgery. When I had my surgery I asked the same thing because it can be painful at times to when moving certain ways. You just have to let it out and eventually it will go away. It does take a few weeks and it is aweful. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)