Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single friends/married friends with no kids

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:40 PM
  • 11 Replies
Sigh***
I understand my husband wanting to maintain friendships with our friends that don't have children. However, it just seems like now that we have a little person to think about suddenly our priorities have changed. How do all of you handle your relationships with your single friends or even your couple friends who don't have children?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nowaygourmet
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:42 PM

lol, we don't have friends.

KelliansMom
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:43 PM

my single.coupld friends that dont ahve children really didnt change after we had kids ...sure we dont hang out as much but they all understand we have a child and thats cool wit them they all are fine just coming over to the house and hanging out ..but they also all live 10= hours away so when we go home to visit thats all they really want is to hang out and see us and our son 

NookBoookMom
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:45 PM

I really dont have that many friends without children, it's hard and they just dont understand, I have ended many friendships,

poshkat
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:47 PM

i understand where you are coming from but just because you have a child does not mean you lose who you are. i have a few friends from my teen aged years who are my best friends in the whole world and even though i have DS (who is 4) they understand love him. just because im a mother does not mean im not still me. all my friends are very child friendly and love to play with DS and understand that when i go he comes because its not always possible to have a babysitter.

yesterday we spent the day with my bestie (since we were 11 we are now 27) and DS loves his aunty nessa.

kaygarcia97
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:47 PM
Our closest friends don't have children but are married. They love our girls and it hasn't changed our relationships with them at all
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
army_wifey_06
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Honestly pretty much all of our friends have kids. My best friend who I have been friends with for almost 20 years doesn't have any kids. We live about 2 hours away from each other but when I go visit her, I can tell our friendship has changed. She's in dental hygiene school right now and I've got a 2 year old. We are are such different places in our lives. I've been married for almost 5 years and we want a second child and she's single, going to school and doesn't even know if she wants kids. We are still best friends but it's just a lot different now when we hang out. I think it's a lot harder to relate to friends who don't have kids. Only friends with kids understand when your child throws a fit or they are sick and you can't go hang out or whatever. When we hang out she's always talking about school and I'm always talking about my ds lol but we still have fun together and she doesn't mind hanging out with me and my little guy. 

allsolittle
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Quoting nowaygourmet:

lol, we don't have friends.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrs_smiph
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Friends are friends in my book.  Yes, some friends are at different stages in life but I wouldn't demote them as friends just because they don't have the same family-life in common with me.  I can understand not going out as much with friends because you now have obligations as parents but less time spent with your single or childless friends does not mean that you aren't friends anymore.  What I can't stand is some friends of mine who have kids and allow them to act like brats.  Now that's annoying lol!

mom2LandL
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 3:04 PM

We are friends with a couple who have no children.  They have tried and haven't been able to yet.  Now she is in school so they put off trying for ahwile...but htey are great about us having kids.  There is no question in their minds that our kids come first and will most likely be involved when we all hang out.  Honestly my bff(the wife) is great with my kids and I wouldn't get by without her.  As long as friends are aware that priority has shifted and now maybe fun evenings need more notice for parents to prepare it is possible to keep a good friendship through children.

JeremysMom
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 3:07 PM
I agree with this. Most of our friends don't have children. It's nice to be able to have an adult conversation that doesn't pertain to "how are your kids doing?, well, Johnny did this or that", etc.

Quoting poshkat:

i understand where you are coming from but just because you have a child does not mean you lose who you are. i have a few friends from my teen aged years who are my best friends in the whole world and even though i have DS (who is 4) they understand love him. just because im a mother does not mean im not still me. all my friends are very child friendly and love to play with DS and understand that when i go he comes because its not always possible to have a babysitter.

yesterday we spent the day with my bestie (since we were 11 we are now 27) and DS loves his aunty nessa.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)