Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I was thinking...(Breastfeeding)

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:39 PM
  • 21 Replies

I have four children already, all of which were formula fed.  Now, there was a reason for this (and this post is not what it looks like, lol).  I wasn't producing any breast milk, so I had no choice.  Also, I was kind of buying into the the 'breasts as sex ojects' stigma, thanks to my fairly odd upbringing.  That being said, this is my 7th pregnancy, hopefully 5th healthy child, and things already seem a bit different.

With my other children, my breasts never leaked during pregnancy.  I'm only 9 weeks 3 days, and i have noticed definite leaking with this one.  To be honest, the afore mentioned stigma does keep popping into my head, but i am trying to dispel it.  For most of my life I've had a problem with second-guessing myself, so that doesn't always work, but I'm trying. :)

I have discussed my options at length with my DF, and he supports me 100% no matter what I choose to do.  Well, lately I've been thinking really hard about trying to breastfeed this time around.  I know it's probably not going to be easy, and to be honest, even though I've read quite a bit, I still don't know a lot about it.

I'm worried that I'll feel weird, that my baby won't latch, and, (obviously), that I'll try and fail, which would make me feel horrible.  I know that formula may not be the absolute best, but all of my children are perfectly healthy, so I have no doubt that this one will be too should I choose to go that rout instead.  However, the more I think about it, the more certain i seem to be that I do want to try and breastfeed this baby.

I guess there isn't really a steady point to this post, and it's rambles a little, but like I said, I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and I know that many women on here are great for advice and encouragement.  I suppose, when it comes down to it, that's just what I need.

Thank you to everyone who got this far. :) 

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2justone
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:44 PM
It is well worth a good try, even 2 weeks of breast milk is better than none at all. I don't see breasts as sexual objects at all though. That is why people don't like NIP because they think we are "flashing" them, when in all honesty, we care nothing about them or even notice they are around. We are feeding our baby. Anywho, do what you feel is right for your baby and yourself. The health benifits for YOU and YOUR baby outweigh formula where there are no health benifits.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chocolat-smiles
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:48 PM

good luck

Kimberly954
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:49 PM

I suggest finding "support". My hospital was fantastic and teaching me, the nurses were extremely knowledgeable and if i had issues they sent in a lactation consultant. I picked up lots of books with photos of a good latch vs bad latch. I practiced holds with a doll (suggestions from a doula and yes I felt stupid but i was prepared!). I also joined a nip group at the hospital after the baby was born. See if you can find any support in your area. It helps a LOT!

Kimberly954
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Or you can even ask other breastfeeding moms!

piwife
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:54 PM
Leaking doesn't have to do anything with supply, I never leak and I make enough to feed a village lol. Am going to school to become a breastfeeding counselor.
Breastfeeding works by supply and demand. Did you ever latch on any of your babies? How did you know you didn't make enough milk?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hws060504
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Definitely find support.  That's great that DF is supporting you too.  That's very important.  I BFed my first son until he was 15 months old, and I hope to be able to do the same with my 3 month old.  I got support, and took advantage of the lactation consultants in the hospital.  Try not to stress when the time comes.  You've obviously raised 4 healthy children on formula, so you know that you can do that again.  But I think it's great that you're considering BFing this baby, and wish you all the best when the time comes.  :)  We're always here for support as well!

caydensmommy8
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:42 PM

like your previous pregnancies i too didnt have any sign of breast milk or anything up until like 2 days post partum after my son had already been bottle fed...but i attempted anyways because doctors told me there was still hope and it was worth a shot though i knew he wouldnt latch...do what makes you happy...if you try and find its not for you then you can go on knowing that you at least attempted it. 

chcon
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:46 PM
I started out BF with each of my four children, each time longer than previously. My last I went seven months, totally blowing the old "record" of seven weeks with the previous baby. If you put your mind to it, and really want to do it, I'm sure you can find a way to make it work! Good luck whatever you choose!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:48 PM
You're a great mom. I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Red_Tempest
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:52 PM

My oldest daughter latched without any problem, but she never seemed to be getting anything.  About a week after she was born, I went to talk to my doctor, and he said I wasn't producing and that's why she was never satisfied. :(

I ran into the same problem with my youngest daughter, and therefore didn't try with my sons.  I was afraid it wouldn't work for them either. :(

Quoting piwife:

Leaking doesn't have to do anything with supply, I never leak and I make enough to feed a village lol. Am going to school to become a breastfeeding counselor.
Breastfeeding works by supply and demand. Did you ever latch on any of your babies? How did you know you didn't make enough milk?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)