Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The new Upstairs Downstairs

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:11 PM
  • 5 Replies

I hadn't seen it advertised and just happened to find it.  It is in the same house as the original, and the housekeeper is the lady who was the head maid of the old series. So far other than being interested in the house, I haven't found the show as enjoyable as the old series.

Is anyone else watching?

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
LancesMom
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Not sure I have ever seen it!

Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:18 PM
I've never heard of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsRobinson06
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Never heard of it.

Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 24, 2011 at 10:36 AM

It's listed under Masterpiece Theater, I believe. And I think it is on PBS.  It takes place in the 30's as far as I can tell.

Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 24, 2011 at 10:41 AM

http://www.npr.org/2011/04/08/135207548/upstairs-downstairs-takes-a-new-step-back-in-time

Quote:

Writer Heidi Thomas wanted Rose to serve as the bridge between the old and new series. But first she had to decide when the new series would take place.

"When I started my historical research, it just became obvious that we should pick up the thread in January of 1936 because that was the beginning of a remarkable year in British history," Thomas says. "It's known as 'The Year of [The] Three Kings:' King George V died in January; his son Edward VIII ascended the throne immediately and by Dec. 11 of 1936, he had abdicated because of his love for Mrs. Wallis Simpson; and George VI had ascended [to] the throne. I just loved the idea that we could have one year in 165 Eaton Pl. covering three kings."

Of course, the show is more than just a history lesson; there are lovely rooms to look at, at least one tiara and some of the most beautiful maternity dresses you'll ever see...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)