Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

"Lip tie" surgery, or any fully sedated surgery for an infant **UPDATE** 5/20/2011

Posted by on May. 19, 2011 at 8:38 AM
  • 18 Replies

DD goes Wednesday to have a "release of upper lip frenectomy". If she were older it would be no big deal (it's a 15 minute procedure) but at 3 months she has to be put under. Her dr says the biggest concern is the higher risk of her going into respiratory distress from the anesthesia because she is under 6 months. I'm getting nervous, even though I know the dr/surgeon wouldn't have recommended the surgery he felt it's an unnecessary risk. Has anyone else had a child be fully sedated this young? Did everything go well?

**UPDATE** 5/20/2011

My older two went to the dentist for cleanings on Tuesday. While there I was talking to one of the hygienists, who set up a free consultation with one of the practice's dental surgeons (who has done wonderful work on DH's teeth) to look at the lip tie. He doesn't do them on children this young, so I wasn't expecting much. The dentist took a quick look, then cut the frenulum right there in the office! She won't be getting sedated! He only used topical gel and had to use a scalpel because a baby can't be expected to sit long enough for the laser. This meant extra bleeding, which only amounted to soaking through 2 small gauze squares, then stopping when the third was applied. I nursed her as soon as the bleeding stopped, and the difference was immediately noticeable (for me, no discomfort!). I called ENT and canceled the surgery appt before we left the parking lot. DD just nursed for the fourth time since and her upper lip sort of flairs out over the like it's supposed to! She hasn't had to pull away a single time because her nose isn't pulled tight against against the breast anymore, and she hasn't spit up at all so far (she's never spit up excessively, but she usually has a 'slow leak' after eating). To top it all off, the office usually charges $380 for a labial frenectomy, but gave us a huge discount and only charged $120 since they didn't use the laser! Now all that's left to stress over is whether to send the office flowers or a fruit basket...

A huge thank you for the advice and happy ending accounts you all shared!

by on May. 19, 2011 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kiwismommy19
by on May. 19, 2011 at 9:15 AM

My girl was sedated a few times before she reached 6 months. Three of them in her first week of life for various tests that she couldn't be awake for. She's now a 6 year old very happy, very healthy kid    :-)

Good luck to her  :-)

bamababe1975
by Gold Member on May. 19, 2011 at 10:26 AM
My youngest had surgery to correct pyloric stenosis when she was 6wks old. She was fully sedated and the surgery took about 45 min. She had no issues during surgery, and no ill effects from the anesthesia. Yes, I was a nervous wreck the moment they wheeled her through those doors without me, and didn't relax until I held her in my arms again, but she was fine, and your little one will be, too. Just have faith. ((HUGS))

AM-BRAT
by Amber on May. 19, 2011 at 10:39 AM

HUGS mama, IDK anything about that...

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on May. 19, 2011 at 10:45 AM
Hugs momma, she will beFine!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KayDziedzic
by on May. 19, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Thank you!

darcibeisheim
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2011 at 5:17 PM

My son is 2 and has had 22 surgeries that he has been fully sedated for. There has been several other times he has needed to be fully sedated and on a vent. His first surgery was at 15 hours old.  No matter how big or how small each time scares the crap out of you. Most of the time Noah has had no complications, but since its happened so much he has started to need to stay on the vent a little longer.

Hugs and prayers for your little princess.

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on May. 19, 2011 at 5:37 PM

I have know a few kids that have had their tongues and lips done.( for some reason common in refluxers)  Not one of them required or used sedation so on that I am no help.  IF it where me I would do a little more research before agreeing to it.  I know that pediatric dentist do these depending if your a 1...2...3..or 4 level.

Best of luck to both of you!!

3totsinabox
by on May. 19, 2011 at 5:51 PM

my son was tongue tied and didn't have it done till was 11 months old and he was put under.  Is this something has to be right now because of feeding problems?  With my son he adapted to eating from a bottle and I didn't even know there was an issue till a different doc saw him at his 6month check up and said his cute little heart shaped tongue was actual a problem.  I would wait if you can, but if not then go with the advice from a doctor.

quietsmilie
by on May. 19, 2011 at 5:59 PM

My son had 2 surgeries under full anesthia before 3 months adjusted age.  Both went well.  It's terrifying for you as the mom, but she will be back to herself very quickly!

3plus2
by on May. 20, 2011 at 10:24 AM

does she have difficulty nursing? Is that the reason for the frenectomy at such a young age?  I can't imagine going through such a process with a high risk unless it was affecting her ability to eat, sleep, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)