Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those who cloth diaper!!!

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:30 AM
  • 8 Replies

I tried using cloth diapers with my first baby, but I couldn't figure out how to wash them and get the smell completely out.  I was wondering what is the proper way to wash cloth diapers thoroughly in an HE machine?  Is line drying better, worse or the same difference as machine drying?  Mine doesn't do a soak cycle which is the only thing that I can think of that would have caused my problems...any solutions b/c I'm thinking about trying again in order to save money.

blank stare

by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
FordMama
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:32 AM

BUMP!

mommyakabooby
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:50 AM
I don't have a front loader, sorry. There are a few cloth diapeing groups you might try.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Needlesmama
by Member on May. 21, 2011 at 10:00 AM

HE washer are hard to use with cloth, mine is a top loader so the cycles are a little longer...line drying is good especally in sunny weather it kills bacteria that makes them smell...i use vinegar in my wash with the  CD's and if they are really bad i use some baking soda too and i strip my diapers every other week...maybe add a little more water or give it an extra rinse? you still save money because its only maybe 25 cents to run a load of laundry with electricity.

FordMama
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Thanks ladies. 

MommaSteph85
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:09 AM
I have an he top loader and since I don't rinse the poopies off I run a cold quick wash, a hot quick wash, then a hot normal wash with the extra rinse. I was using country save to wash with but just ran out and the store doesn't carry it anymore. I haven't stripped my diapers in over 6 months which is good. You can use a little tea tree oil to kill bacteria.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on May. 21, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I have a top loader, but I used bleach every diaper wash, and I rinsed well.

cowgirlsmommy
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2011 at 12:44 PM
I have a top loader but I do a hot wash with no detergent, hot wash with detergent, then an extra rinse. Of course make sure it's a cloth diaper safe detergent and if you can, hang them out to dry because the sun will kill bacteria and stains :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaForever007
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2011 at 1:42 PM
I have an he front loader. What I do is....

I have legacy of clean brand laundry detergent and legacy of clean brand trizyme booster. (found amway.com/benhess) and I put a half a scoop of each into the washer each time I wash diapers. No fabric softener. I rinse with cold water then wash in a super hot sanitary cycle with extra rinse then dry in dryer on low cool temperature. Works great for me :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)