• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms...how do you do it?

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:22 PM
  • 11 Replies

Single moms, how do you handle 2 or more kids with little to no support?  I would like to leave my husband but I just don't know how I would make it with my 2 boys ages 7 and 8. I don't make a lot of money but I can get a better job. I don't have a lot of family support, my mom is ederly, and I dont have any sisters or aunts. 

How do you work full time and see about kids and have "me time"?

by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hideandseek08
by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:24 PM

BUMP!

kristy0833
by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:27 PM

if you really want to leave you just do it... it will NOT be easy but its possible.. you will learn as you go :)

amonkeymom
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Hi there,  I'm sorry you're finding yourself in a position of thinking about leaving your husband.

First, I'd definitely suggest talking with a lawyer.  Many will offer a free consultation.  A lawyer can tell you how much child support you might be entitled to as well as any spousal support (alimony).

I don't make a lot of money either, but with assistance of both CS & spousal support I can make ends meet.  It's not always easy and sometimes requires a little bit of juggling, but it can be done.

(((hug)))  I hope for the best for you.

DaMama1927
by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Look into state programs. I know CO has several, such as daycare assistance, and housing assistance. You can also get on food stamps to help save money in other areas. As far as me time, when the kids go to bed. Or you can get up earlier. I get up about an hour before my kids for my quiet time.

.Amanda.
by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:36 PM
Yep. I'm 18 and a single working mom to an 18 month old little boy (and I'm graduating on Wednesday). You just adjust to it. As others have said, there is help for you financially. Me time could be when you're kids are sleeping (my son is napping right now).

Quoting kristy0833:

if you really want to leave you just do it... it will NOT be easy but its possible.. you will learn as you go :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lysa7lou0507
by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:40 PM
It just works out somehow. I'm lucky enough to have help from my sister for childcare. I work 2 jobs so both of my boys can go to a good school. Everyday is a struggle, but my boys are finally happy. Their dad and I no longer fight, we're actually friends again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Unless he is abusing you or cheating on you, don't leave. If he is doing those things, seek help first before leaving. You did say for better or worse, right?

Latrice429
by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Not physical abuse but verbal abuse, yes. Cheating, maybe. This 13th year of marriage has been hard. Not sure if we will make it to 14. Thanks ladies for your support.

mamakenzi
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:37 PM

You just do it.  There are never enough hours in the day but in the end it seems to work.  I am fortunate to have a really good support system for myself and my daughter.

Honeybun09
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:38 PM

I have no idea! I look back on how my mom raised all 3 of her kids 1 1/2 years apart all by herself because my dad is an as*hole and I can't even freaking imagine doing that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)