• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

smarta**

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:51 PM
  • 12 Replies

I have a 14year old lazy son who is a smartass..IDK what to do with him anymore. Hes been smarting off to the teachers in school and also has $330. in laptop repairs that has to be paid before junior high graduation which is in a couple of weeks..He thinks its funny to shell out that much money for him..I got angry at him today and finally put the belt to his rear, of course he tries grabbing the belt from me and yelling at me that he doesn't want to be here anymore because of me..Well whats a mother to do? ignore him? idk what kind of discipline will help...I've already taken his cellphone from him and have limited his t.v. viewing..so fustrated.....

by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chcon
by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Sounds like he's a handful.  Remove everything from his room that he considers "fun" (toys/etc) and restrict him to there until he learns to behave.  No playing with friends/outside/etc.  NO tv, games, etc.

If it sounds harsh, how does that $330 sound?  Sounds harsh to me, too.  Otherwise consider seeking some counseling help to see if there is something else going on.

SarahSue87
by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:54 PM

when i was out of control (by that i mean my mom and i got in a arguement and was throwing things around my room) she called the police and had them cuff me, she didnt have them book me or whatever its called but its scared the bejesus out of me! tough love is what i needed. And you can tell him he gets to do things around the house for you the whole summer to help pay for the money he owes. im sorry hes being a poophead, and i wish i had better advice. good luck momma!

MommaSteph85
by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:55 PM
Put him to work mowing yards for that money
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Madisons3boys
by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Ok. Well 1st off I would NOT have hit him with a belt. HOWEVER... Here is what I would do.

I would tell him first off I am NOT paying for the laptop. You broke it YOU buy it. I would put a jar on the table and I would tell him MOW THE GRASS! If he doesn't do it, fine he wont graduate with his friends. If he does do it, put $3 in the jar. Have him scrub all the toilets and inspect them. $2 into the jar. Wash the car. If he does it right, give him $4. Keep doing it. Everything you would normally do have him do, and put the $ in the jar. If he cleans the entire house and outside and still didn't make enough to pay for it, have him pack his stuff, tv, games, if he has a DSI or a Nintendo Wii or whatever, and take them down to the pawn shop with him in tow. And if he ever does that crap again, he can forget about Christmas, birthday, etc.

MRSNADINE
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Thanx ladies..i wish i could put his rear to work..even if its around here at home but even throwing the trash is an arguement itself..hes just flat out lazy..i got the cellphone, his ipod, and next is his big screen tv.  never thought he would be the one to give me hell and here i am...thanx again for the support..

MRSNADINE
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:07 PM

madisons3boys, I like that idea...gonna attempt to get him to do what i normally do around house for pay but if that doesn't work a trip to the pawn shop will surely help...great advice..and i hardly ever put the belt to any of my kiddos but i thought id put the scare in him...didn't work..thanx girl

kristy0833
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:08 PM

id get him help.. its only gonna get worse

leswen
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:17 PM

I agree!  If he doesn't want to do the chores, then he doesn't get to do anything!  No going out, no video games, no computer, no tv, no...whatever else he does that's fun.  If that still doesn't work, I agree with the pawn shop idea!

Quoting Madisons3boys:

Ok. Well 1st off I would NOT have hit him with a belt. HOWEVER... Here is what I would do.

I would tell him first off I am NOT paying for the laptop. You broke it YOU buy it. I would put a jar on the table and I would tell him MOW THE GRASS! If he doesn't do it, fine he wont graduate with his friends. If he does do it, put $3 in the jar. Have him scrub all the toilets and inspect them. $2 into the jar. Wash the car. If he does it right, give him $4. Keep doing it. Everything you would normally do have him do, and put the $ in the jar. If he cleans the entire house and outside and still didn't make enough to pay for it, have him pack his stuff, tv, games, if he has a DSI or a Nintendo Wii or whatever, and take them down to the pawn shop with him in tow. And if he ever does that crap again, he can forget about Christmas, birthday, etc.

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on May. 21, 2011 at 4:42 PM

There is no way I would be footing that $330 bill.  I would pay it up front so he can finish school, but it would be with the understanding that until that is paid back in full he would not be having any fun over the summer.  No tv, no cell phone, no video games, no friends.  He could earn some of it back from me by doing chores that normally weren't his such as washing vehicles.  His normal chores would not earn him any more money though.  The rest he would need to earn by helping out neighbors, getting a summer job, or helping out family. 

On a side note I don't think hitting with a belt is ever okay, but you especially don't want to be picking a physical fight with a boy who is going to be stronger then you soon if he isn't already.  If he does't attack you back, he could easily call CPS on you and may win if you are using a belt. 

jessistarr85
by on May. 22, 2011 at 4:52 AM

I wouldn't give him the option to work it off, I would go stright to the pawn shop, not only that but I would take away his bed room door, that way he can't run to his room and slam the door because he is mad about you taking his stuff. Im sorry that you have to deal with this

t

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)