Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

any mommas know of any formula that is the best compared to breast milk...and another question>>>??

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:24 PM
  • 64 Replies

i have been breastfeeding for a week now, well my new little guy is a week today he gets up like every 2 hours to eat i dont think its filling him up enough so was gonna try formula also any suggestions  i just dont want to get a brand thats gonna make his belly upset he does dont spit up or anything right now........

by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenny301
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:27 PM

That is totally normal!  He is trying to establish your supply.  The more he eats, the more you will make, so he is making sure he gets your supply up.  There is NO formula that compares to the benefits of breastmilk for him or you.

KelliansMom
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2011 at 3:29 PM

totaly normal for a week old to eat that often sometime even more often ...its building up your supply  :) formula would just mess with your milkd build up 

JADIEBUG
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:30 PM

That is perfectly normal. He needs to eat that much. There is no formula that even compares to what you are doing now. Don't give up!

Also on a side note formula would not guarantee he would eat less often anyways. Some babies just eat more often then others. My nephew was formula fed and would take a bottle every 2 hours.

ckordell07
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:33 PM

his cousin is 5 days apart and his mom said he gets up only one time a night, i dont remember my other 2 boys getting up so often : ( i didnt breastfeed them tho it hurt way to much.

Quoting JADIEBUG:

That is perfectly normal. He needs to eat that much. There is no formula that even compares to what you are doing now. Don't give up!

Also on a side note formula would not guarantee he would eat less often anyways. Some babies just eat more often then others. My nephew was formula fed and would take a bottle every 2 hours.

ckordell07
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:35 PM

is it also ok for him even tho i cant get myself to eat very much, going through the post partum thing : ( still taking vitamins since i havent been eating.

Tranla
by Elisabeth on May. 21, 2011 at 3:39 PM
That's totally normal. When they go through a growth spurt, they can need to eat even more often. It's just their way of improving the supply.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessnjosh87
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Normal, formula will probably just make him gassy and constipated since he is used to BM. Don't give up, you are doing what's best for the baby!!! And DO NOT compare your baby to other babies, THEY ARE ALL DIFFERENT. 

Tranla
by Elisabeth on May. 21, 2011 at 3:46 PM
Yes, just like with pregnancy, your body will make sure your baby gets the best nutrition first.

Quoting ckordell07:

is it also ok for him even tho i cant get myself to eat very much, going through the post partum thing : ( still taking vitamins since i havent been eating.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bethbeth
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:49 PM

He may eat just as often with formula. Eating every two hours is completely normal. He's just a little guy, and his job right now is to eat so he can gain weight.

If you're concerned he's not getting enough, please make an appointment to see a Lactation Consultant at your hospital, through La Leche League or at WIC. They can help you evaluate how he is doing and give you some advice and encouragement.

Good luck!

mommyakabooby
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:51 PM
Don't give that baby formula! Nursing evry 2 hours is normal! If you're comfortable with it, try putting him in bed with you, that way you can rest at night while he nurses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)