Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what's going on at my dumpster?

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:55 PM
  • 10 Replies

there is a dumpster near our place. we drove by it the other day and there was a box of food sitting next to it. it looked like good food. not sure what was all in it but there was a full tub of peanut butter and a bunch of other stuff. it all looked new/unopened. the next day we drove by again the food was gone but the box is still there. it sits kind of off to the side but still in plain site. it just struck me funny.

the first day i just thought someone was throwing out food they didn't want but left it so it can be used by someone if they wanted it. now it just looks like someone is purposefully leaving a box of food for someone, the weird thing is that we kinda live out in the middle of nowehre.

what would u think if u saw this? btw, the ppl that live around me are all approx the same income bracket (just getting by at the moment) so it's not lile my neighbors can afford to throw out a whole box of food.

by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amonkeymom
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Interesting... if you find out what's going on, you should come back and update us.

Mamamahoney8804
by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Is there a food drive going on? Because in our town, we once had a food drive where people left out their box of donations next to their mailboxes (which is also where garbage is picked up!)

Took me forever to figure it out when I saw it happening!

Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on May. 21, 2011 at 4:52 PM
Someone may be leaving food for a homeless person. At work once we suspected someone was sleeping next to out dumpsters so we started boxing up the extra food and someone brought a blanket and pillow and left with it. The food got ate and the blanket and pillow were obviously used.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nowaygourmet
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2011 at 5:44 PM

no, here they have u take it in and drop it off unless it's the boyscouts who have u leave it on ur doorstep.

Quoting Mamamahoney8804:

Is there a food drive going on? Because in our town, we once had a food drive where people left out their box of donations next to their mailboxes (which is also where garbage is picked up!)

Took me forever to figure it out when I saw it happening!

nowaygourmet
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2011 at 5:48 PM

this is my suspicion but we are so far out in the middle of nowhere and i haven't seen anyone around who i don't know where they live, also there isn't anywhere for a homeless person to stay at night out of the weather....still, that doesn't mean it isn't what's going on. i hope not, it's sad for a person to be so far down to be homeless. i have been one step away from being homeless and it's scary as hell.

Quoting Kiwismommy19:

Someone may be leaving food for a homeless person. At work once we suspected someone was sleeping next to out dumpsters so we started boxing up the extra food and someone brought a blanket and pillow and left with it. The food got ate and the blanket and pillow were obviously used.

bellaamore
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:50 PM

When I was growing up, we lived in a small town with about 700 people. No lights or stop signs, etc.. everyone was poor. When delivery drivers would drop their foods at gas stations and grocers, and they had items that were out of date only slightly and could still be used, they would sit them out by the dumpsters, and folks would pick it up.

People also left beds, clothing, etc outside of the dumpsters that could be used so no one had to dig through them.

aviatioNation
by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:01 PM

I can tell you from experience that most homeless people spend the whole day walking and sleep wherever they end up, shelter or no.

Quoting nowaygourmet:

this is my suspicion but we are so far out in the middle of nowhere and i haven't seen anyone around who i don't know where they live, also there isn't anywhere for a homeless person to stay at night out of the weather....still, that doesn't mean it isn't what's going on. i hope not, it's sad for a person to be so far down to be homeless. i have been one step away from being homeless and it's scary as hell.

Quoting Kiwismommy19:

BlueEyez217
by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:10 PM

scope it out and get back to us.

lind.shep
by Lindsey on May. 22, 2011 at 2:06 AM
This is how it was where I'm from as well.

Quoting bellaamore:

When I was growing up, we lived in a small town with about 700 people. No lights or stop signs, etc.. everyone was poor. When delivery drivers would drop their foods at gas stations and grocers, and they had items that were out of date only slightly and could still be used, they would sit them out by the dumpsters, and folks would pick it up.

People also left beds, clothing, etc outside of the dumpsters that could be used so no one had to dig through them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on May. 22, 2011 at 7:10 AM

Maybe someone moved or helped someone move and had the leftover food.  I am curious, too, about what the real story is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)