Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

homemade stuff?

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:29 PM
  • 12 Replies

i am giving away a ton of dd's old baby stuff to friends that could use it... But I am running into a problem maybe... dd has tons of homemade blankets i have kept a few that we want to keep that she liked but feel bad about giivng them away too... is it not ok to give away homeade stuff even though she has outgrown it?  It may sound silly i was just wondering if it is ok or if your supposed to hang on to it forever....

by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GOBryan
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Keep a couple of nice pieces and give the rest away to friends. There's nothing wrong in giving them away. 

luvemboth
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:45 PM
I would say it depends on who made it. If it was handmade by say her grandma, or someone dd's extra close to I'd keep it for dd to pass down to her kids. If it was made by a family friend or someone you don't see to often I wouldn't feel as bad getting rid of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
naominpipermom
by Member on May. 21, 2011 at 7:46 PM
This

Quoting GOBryan:

Keep a couple of nice pieces and give the rest away to friends. There's nothing wrong in giving them away. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nowaygourmet
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2011 at 9:00 PM

i would keep a few special homeade things so u can pass to her when she's an adult. i'd also keep some of the things in the best of shape for use with the next baby, it's less u have to buy later. no need to keep it all. 

DelilahsMom4108
by Jeni on May. 21, 2011 at 9:03 PM

I agree with this.... I still have the slippers my grandmother made for me when I was very little..... it's the only thing I have as a memory of her. But if it's not from someone close to you like that then I would say you can give them away.

Quoting luvemboth:

I would say it depends on who made it. If it was handmade by say her grandma, or someone dd's extra close to I'd keep it for dd to pass down to her kids. If it was made by a family friend or someone you don't see to often I wouldn't feel as bad getting rid of it.

carinyosa99
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:06 PM

I would keep anything that is of sentimental value or anything made by a grandma or very special family member, but anything else, I wouldn't hesitate giving away. We have a blanket that was homemade, but it wasn't made by someone close to me and I will certainly give it away.

starfilled
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:14 PM

I don't think there's anything wrong with passing them on to someone who could use them.

Brittney_OREGON
by on May. 22, 2011 at 3:25 PM

thats the problem they are all made by grandparents but im not kidding we have literally 22 blankets... i have some to pass down to her already... and they are still making them for her... i just wish it was a easy choice to make.... i feel like they will be mad if i do...

nowaygourmet
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2011 at 3:28 PM

how old is ur daughter? maybe u could put them in a trunk and let her make the choice when she is old enuf to do so.

Quoting Brittney_OREGON:

thats the problem they are all made by grandparents but im not kidding we have literally 22 blankets... i have some to pass down to her already... and they are still making them for her... i just wish it was a easy choice to make.... i feel like they will be mad if i do...

Family4Eternity
by on May. 22, 2011 at 4:07 PM

IMO there is nothing wrong with keeping it or giving it away.  I think its a personal choice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)