• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler fighting sleep

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:24 PM
  • 10 Replies
My 22 month old has started refusing to go to bed. Instead he will lay at his door and cry. Not just for a few minutes but for a LONG time. Or he will go to sleep but will wake up a few hours later and be awake for hours on end.
This is all new for me and its exhausting. He has always slept through the night very well. I don't know what to do... help!?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bbmkfo03
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:18 PM

How long has this been going on? My DD is 2 and she started acting similar to your DS each time she had an ear infection. When she couldn't or wouldn't sleep I knew there was something wrong since laying down makes the ears hurt worse. I hope you get an answer soon, or better yet he starts sleeping better!

mamakenzi
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:35 PM
Have you to the pedi to rule out anything medical? Their sleep patterns constantly change, just keep up your normal bedtime routine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imgnabamommy
by on May. 22, 2011 at 12:13 AM

is he able to tell you if anything hurts? maybe an ear ache, if he doesn't already have them could be teething pains from molars or something of that nature. With my 21 month old, I had to add a night light a couple of weeks ago and cut down on naps this week because of sleep problems, we cut nap time in half (or some days all the way out) and he sleeps good at night now.

Larsbug
by on May. 22, 2011 at 12:17 AM

we had the same problem with my son and he is going in for a sleep study on June 15th... my son is 2 and he started this at a year old... I would definately keep track of his sleep schedule and give it your ped when you go in... as them to dialate his eyes to check for anything there, and rule out anything else. They think my son has enlarged tonsils which makes him feel as if he is drowning when he is sleeping so he is afraid to go to sleep.  example of my son: bed at 8, falls asleep around 10 after fighting for a while, wakes at 12 am, back asleep around 2, up for the day at 4:30

Aqua_Jen
by on May. 22, 2011 at 7:50 AM
I haven't taken him to the pedi for anything... I really don't think its a medical issue. Dh deployed about 2 months ago and this started shortly after so I figured it was just separation anxiety or something like that... I know he has a coupld of teeth working thei way in but he doesn't show any signs of discomfort during the day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilkiddos
by on May. 22, 2011 at 9:19 AM

My son is the same way. He takes about 3 hours to fall asleep, then he will wake up anywhere from 1-3 and stay up for a few hours :( It is very hard! He suffers from insomnia but here are a few tricks that I have had to do to help.

Your son could be confused because of the deployment ( Were getting ready to go thru our first one in a month so not looking forward to all that! ) as far as that goes, have you looked into or got him a daddy doll? Or you could let him sleep with daddies pillow ect. Aside from that, our dr told us......turn off ALL LIGHTS and NOISE and keep the room dark. this way if he does wake u there is nothing to stimulate him. Establish a bed time routine and stick with it. about an hour before bedtime shut off all tv ect, give him a bath with lavender stuff to help him relax. read him a bedtime story or what ever it is that you guys can do on a every day basis. I have to put our son to bed 2 hours early to make sure he is sleeping by 8. and what ever you chose to do for bed time stick with it EVERY DAY!!! Dont let him drink anything before bed time. You could also put a fan in his room, it gives a bit of soothing noise to help him fall asleep.

After doing all of this we ended up having to put our sons bed in our room and making a family bed :( I was not to happy about that but I couldn't get my son to stay asleep and this way I know if he gets up i can watch him better. Its not wasy having a little one who doesn't want to sleep! but with trial and error you will find out what will help. Good luck and hang in there!!

MamaCass21
by on May. 22, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Something you could try to ease his separation anxiety, if you're pretty sure that's what it is, is to say a prayer for your DH. Even something as simple as "Ok, we're going to pray for Daddy now! Can you help me say 'God bless Daddy'?" might help put his mind at ease. It helps my 3 yo when he's having a bad day missing his dad.

Aqua_Jen
by on May. 22, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Thats a great idea!

Quoting MamaCass21:

Something you could try to ease his separation anxiety, if you're pretty sure that's what it is, is to say a prayer for your DH. Even something as simple as "Ok, we're going to pray for Daddy now! Can you help me say 'God bless Daddy'?" might help put his mind at ease. It helps my 3 yo when he's having a bad day missing his dad.

Aqua_Jen
by on May. 22, 2011 at 11:34 AM

We do have a set bedtime routine. We dont watch tv and we go through the house and turn all the lights off together. I havent tried the lavendar... Ive heard about it, just havent done it. Maybe I'll pick some up and see if that helps... He has a daddy doll but he really doesnt do much with it. He doesnt really get attached to "things".

Quoting lilkiddos:

My son is the same way. He takes about 3 hours to fall asleep, then he will wake up anywhere from 1-3 and stay up for a few hours :( It is very hard! He suffers from insomnia but here are a few tricks that I have had to do to help.

Your son could be confused because of the deployment ( Were getting ready to go thru our first one in a month so not looking forward to all that! ) as far as that goes, have you looked into or got him a daddy doll? Or you could let him sleep with daddies pillow ect. Aside from that, our dr told us......turn off ALL LIGHTS and NOISE and keep the room dark. this way if he does wake u there is nothing to stimulate him. Establish a bed time routine and stick with it. about an hour before bedtime shut off all tv ect, give him a bath with lavender stuff to help him relax. read him a bedtime story or what ever it is that you guys can do on a every day basis. I have to put our son to bed 2 hours early to make sure he is sleeping by 8. and what ever you chose to do for bed time stick with it EVERY DAY!!! Dont let him drink anything before bed time. You could also put a fan in his room, it gives a bit of soothing noise to help him fall asleep.

After doing all of this we ended up having to put our sons bed in our room and making a family bed :( I was not to happy about that but I couldn't get my son to stay asleep and this way I know if he gets up i can watch him better. Its not wasy having a little one who doesn't want to sleep! but with trial and error you will find out what will help. Good luck and hang in there!!

bbmkfo03
by on May. 22, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Quoting Aqua_Jen:

I haven't taken him to the pedi for anything... I really don't think its a medical issue. Dh deployed about 2 months ago and this started shortly after so I figured it was just separation anxiety or something like that... I know he has a coupld of teeth working thei way in but he doesn't show any signs of discomfort during the day.

My DH works out of state and my DD is 100% daddy's girl so she misses him quite a bit and will sometimes wake in the middle of the night calling for him when he's not here :(   I have our wedding album out and she likes looking at it daily, each night she says good night to a picture of daddy we keep in her bedroom. We skype as much as possible, when he calls I put him on speaker phone. Essentially I do whatever I can to let her know that even though Daddy isn't here he still loves her. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)