Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any one else :/

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:43 PM
  • 14 Replies
my milk supply just suddenly dropped. I went from making 8oz every 8 hours to being lucky to get 3 1/2 oz in that time frame. I started taking fungeek root supplement today to try and help out. The little munchkin has lost about 1/4 of a lb, and it scares me but I really hate the idea of ff-ing. The smell of formula makes me gag. Anyone else had this happen? And how did you fix it?
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamakenzi
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:44 PM

Sorry, no advice here, I formula fed.

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2011 at 11:46 PM

Are you pumping?  Exclusively pumping or just pumping occasionally or what?  Baby is also 2 months old, that is about the time your supply really regulates.  Pumping output is not an indicator of supply.  Over what time frame did she lose weight?  What are her weights - birth weight, one month, etc.?  Do you have any signs that you're about to get your period?  Supply will drop right before you start, but ill come back up.

Larsbug
by on May. 22, 2011 at 12:18 AM

I didn't produce any so I formula fed... sorry no help but BUMP!

Apr1l
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2011 at 12:24 AM
Drink lots of fluids adequate rest minimal stress. That happened to me around the Time my period was coming back my son was around 7 mons
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aamommy2011
by on May. 22, 2011 at 12:27 AM

there are times you'll drop production.

take 3 fenugreek pills 3x a day (with blessed thistle). drink mothers milk tea, eat oatmeal, drink water, pump every 2-4 hrs. you can also try your local LLL for their milk pool just so you have time to boost your supply up. if nothing else, try talking to your dr for an rx

LoreleiSieja
by on May. 22, 2011 at 1:09 AM

It also isn't unusual for a newborn to drop a bit of weight. Weight also fluctuates throughout the day. 

The most important thing to remember when you are breastfeeding is rest.  If you are stressed about anything, your milk won't let down.  You might be making plenty of milk, but too uptight for the munchkin to get much.  Is there a La Leche League around you?  There's nothing like it for moral support. 

Take GREAT care of yourself.  Get plenty of rest.  Try to nap or at least rest every time your baby goes to sleep, if you can.  Childbirth and motherhood are exhausting work, you need to "recharge" your batteries. 

If your baby loses more weight and it concerns you, call your pediatrician.  He or she can let you know if there is cause for concern.

Good luck with breast-feeding!  It's wonderful that you are trying to do this for your child.

Lorelei

www.raisingcreativechildren.com

Nurturning Creative Young Minds and Wiggly Bodies

Family4Eternity
by on May. 22, 2011 at 1:37 AM

Sorry I didn't experience that. I will be praying that whatever it is will be ok.

ChivosPet
by on May. 22, 2011 at 8:21 AM
I pump twice a day every day while at work. I work full time so I don't really get to nap when she does. She lost the quarter pound over about a week and a half's time. Born 7lb9oz 1month was up to 8.5lbs. Now she's down to 8.25. We have a ped. appointment on Monday right after her hearing test.
jackiewal10
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Has she been weighed on the same scale and in the same way (meaning naked, with a diaper only, or fully clothed)?  Has she been sick at all?  The amount you're able to pump is going to go down and then stabalize, so just because you're not able to pump as much as you have been pumping, that isn't a concern.  You're still pumping more than what is considered average.  Average would be 2 oz total per session (includes both breasts).

You can eat oatmeal everyday and/or take Fenugreek pills.  Neither of these things will hurt, but I don't really think you have a supply issue.  How often are you actually nursing?  Is there anything else going on, ie., cereal in the bottles or anything?

Quoting ChivosPet:

I pump twice a day every day while at work. I work full time so I don't really get to nap when she does. She lost the quarter pound over about a week and a half's time. Born 7lb9oz 1month was up to 8.5lbs. Now she's down to 8.25. We have a ped. appointment on Monday right after her hearing test.

ChivosPet
by on May. 22, 2011 at 7:23 PM
No formula or cereal. She's had juice twice ever but only after she's already eatten and only because she was constipated and we were trying to get her to potty without a suppository. She eats every 4 hours or so. She's always weighed first thing in the morning after her breakfast naked.
Quoting jackiewal10:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)