Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

5 Yr. Old Play Date Ideas Please!

Posted by on May. 31, 2011 at 6:07 PM
  • 9 Replies

My DS5 went to a friend's house last Sunday for his first "drop off" play date.  He loved it, and had so much fun he didn't even want to come home.  He's talked about nothing else but playing with his friend "J" that I told him we'd invite him over to our house for a play date this weekend.  The problem is that "J" has everything at his house--an in ground pool, large swing set, trampoline, all the toys you could imagine, quiet cul-de-sac to ride their bikes in, and also live close enough to the park that they ride their bikes there with "J"s Nana.  We don't have such accomodations at our house, and I'm trying to think of fun ideas for the 2 of them to do.  I thought about letting them play with water guns and water balloons since we don't have a pool and my husband is completely uptight about the sprinker running during the middle of the day.   We only have a swing set in the back yard.  We bought DS a trampoline, but it's put up for hsi bday in November.  I also plan on buying ingredients to make pizza so the boys can make their own with their own toppings.  Anyone else have any ideas so this play date isn't a total bomb?  TIA! 

by on May. 31, 2011 at 6:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mamakenzi
by Kenzi on May. 31, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Honey they are 5, just let them play with your DS's toys, they will be happy and fine.

peanutsmommy1
by on May. 31, 2011 at 7:10 PM

I've never planned activities for playdates, they are kids... just tell them to find something to play with!

JeremysMom
by on May. 31, 2011 at 7:27 PM
You could do a treasure hunt or scavenger hunt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on May. 31, 2011 at 7:29 PM
Maybe he could have his trampoline for the summer since he wont be able to use it in november?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katiebug840204
by Katie on May. 31, 2011 at 7:32 PM
I know how u feel, we don't have anything outside to do for our kids. I mean they find things to do to entertain theirselves out there but nothing fun at all, not even a swing set. I hate kids coming over cause they always end up fighting inside about a toy or being bored. I wish we could afford to buy them something!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kiwismommy19
by on May. 31, 2011 at 7:55 PM
I agree. They'll play with anything!

Quoting mamakenzi:

Honey they are 5, just let them play with your DS's toys, they will be happy and fine.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ladybug8412
by Bronze Member on Jun. 1, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Thanks for the reassurance.  I always overanalyze everything, lol.

Quoting Kiwismommy19:

I agree. They'll play with anything!

Quoting mamakenzi:

MomofVictor
by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 1:40 PM

My DS is only 3 so I don't know what he will like when he is 5 but...he LOVES to fingerpaint and stamp. I put a sheet on the floor (and strip him down to his underwear..maybe you can ask J's mom to send a change of clothes that he can paint in) and just let him go to town!!!

I also agree with pps...they are 5..and all your son's toys will be new to J.

Bmat
by Barb on Jun. 1, 2011 at 1:50 PM

I was going to suggest cooking with them, so the pizza works. :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)