• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TV

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:35 PM
  • 19 Replies
In your Opinion,
Do you think kids should have tv's in their bedrooms? Should they be allowed to watch it whenever they want?
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Mine have them in their rooms. Comes in hady when friends are over. Especially when they get into playing games.TV in no way helps aid your child to sleep though.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:59 PM

I don't have a problem with TV's in the bedroom but that is probably because I had one. I was never a big TV watcher and preferred to have my stereo on over TV, though.

My son has a TV & DVD player in his room but it has no cable connection, so he can only watch DVD's. We use it only a few times a month.

Other then that, I have limited TV to weekends only. He has never been a huge TV watcher but I wasn't thrilled with the things he has been picking up, even on the shows that are supposed to be child friendly. So, no more TV during the week.

Rachel.momof4
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:05 PM
Mine do, except for my 3 month old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ThePinkRobot
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:15 PM
TV is a waste of time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
proudmommy_1
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:21 PM
My kids have TVs in their rooms. Only one is ever on whether they're in there or not. I like that they have a place to watch cartoons whenever I want to watch something. If they stayed in their room watching TV without coming out I would have a problem with it though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetmissy_05
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:21 PM

There's nothing wrong with them having a tv in their room or watching tv.....my girls still play even though the tv is on.

Bmat
by Barb on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:23 PM

My sons did not have TV in their bedrooms. I wanted to monitor what they watched. I also wanted them to be able to entertain themselves without sitting blankly in front of the TV.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:03 PM

i dont really agree with having a tv in a childs bedroom.....a bedroom, is a a place to sleep...get dressed...and do homework (when theyre older)......i dont think its a good idea to have such a big distraction in your room....when i was a kid..i was to busy playing to even worry about watching tv...there were a couple shows i liked at breakfast...but other than that, i was outside.  as where all kids should be!! having fun! playing! not glued to the tube

chellfairy
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Nno, never, notta, absolutely NOT

Have I stated that I do not approve??LOL

Sorry, but this is one of the many things I am passionate about.  For a couple of reasons. First, I think it is very important that a kid learns how to relax, with out any outside stimulous or distracting I think it is important that their bedroom is for "alone" time, down time.relaxing. I have no problem with the kids if they are reading, and I'll let them stay up a bit longer. TV is a distraction, even when they are sleeping. It can be the difference betwee a good nights sleep and a restless one. There are a lot of moms I know who put tv's, dvd players and video game systems in their kids rooms.  They say the reasoning is that it enables the adults to watch their own shows.

I had it all in my bedroom when I was young. To this day, I still have trouble sleeping without any noise.

chellfairy
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Quoting sweetmissy_05:

There's nothing wrong with them having a tv in their room or watching tv.....my girls still play even though the tv is on.

Would they play if the tv was off??? I'm not trying to be rude, I just wonder about that.smile mini

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)