• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it wrong to snoop on your kids?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:08 PM
  • 15 Replies

I read an interesting story on a website regarding a mom who goes through her teen daughter's room and cell phone checking for inappropriate texts, etc. I have and 11 year old and I'm curious if mothers out there would snoop on their kids as this mom did. 

Here is the link to the woman's post I was referring to:
http://www.peoplesinsight.com/articles/1...

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Replies (1-10):
    MichelleK41
    by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:19 PM

If I have to clean their rooms I read whatever pieces of paper get viewed that is not intended for the trash cans. My kids did not get cells til' they were 16 and they bought their own. If I have to keep junk files cleaned off their pc's then again I have to read what is there to not throw away any school projects, game codes, etc. If snooping can keep your child safe if you feel you have valid concerns then go for it. Always, always better to keep our kids safe then wonder what could have been.......

SouthTxPrincess
    by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:52 PM
    my dd is only 1 1/2 so i dont have that problem yet but i would snoop if i thought i had too plus its not snooping if they know about it. i think everyone has a right to privacy but if ur a minor living in my house u will be watched. better safe than sorry.
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    dlock25
    by Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:03 PM
    Yes I would. I believe the only privacy a child should have is to goto the bathroom change clothes and shower. There is to much going on in this world. I will have access to aall acounts and cell phone. They will know this and have to agree before getting permission for said things
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    chellfairy
    by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Is it wrong? Only if you get caught. big smile mini

Seriously, I do check sometimes. They are 15 and 13 and they just got their phones about 2 ,months ago. Facebook is my favorite, tool to snoop because I see what their peers are doing and I can run interference if I need to. However, it's not so much that I think I have to, It's more often that I will check on what's going on with everyone(school, friends, not friends, etc.) I really do think snooping is a must in this day and age, with the computers and texting. Because if our kids,are not doing anything wrong, it doesn't mean that other kids are, it's what other kids are doing that is scary.

Mom2Just1
    by Mom2boys on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:51 PM

My son gets some privacy.  I think it is important that he does.  But I do check on him, etc.  

Malley
    by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:56 PM

I think you need to supervise them and spot check what they are up to. If you find out they are doing something wrong, then all bets are off and it's time to be very vigilant.

Bmat
    by Barb on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:22 PM

In my humble opinion it is the mom's duty to snoop for the protection of the child. It would be best if the child never found out, unless it was something really dangerous- drugs for example.

WandBmamma
    by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 1:13 PM
    My children are quite small still (6yo and 3yo) so I still see and control eerything so idk what ill do yet. My friend has a rule in her house that at anytime her or dh can walk up to their children and stick out their hand and their children must hand over their cell. Sometimes they read it smetimes they dont. A lot of it has to do with how the child reacts.
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    canthaveboys1
    by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Yes I do, and will continue to do so until they are out of my house.

jessnjosh87
    by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 1:16 PM

I don't think so

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)