• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

the legal system is so messed up!!!(vent)

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:01 PM
  • 19 Replies

My son has been stealing things for over a yr now and he has been through so many programs and cops coming out it is really aggravating. I dont know what to do wih him anymore!!

So we were at walmart and he stole a pack of gum of course we catch him when we get out of the store. His stepfather took him in to a loss prevention officer and he said well i could turn him in a cop would come out and arrest him and he would go to juvenile detention and have court which i thought might just teach him a lesson(im out of options and patience) well if he did that i would get sued by walmart!! really i did not steal and the item was returned why on earth would i get sued they did not lose any money. so that said he gave him a talk and that was it!! How is it when you try to teach your child a lesson they make the parents pay?

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katiebug840204
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:02 PM
Sounds like crap to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emilysmom8
by Dawn on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:05 PM

I think the loss prevention person was just trying to scare your son. No one will get arrested for a pack of gum

firemouse23
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Wow...It takes a village...but when the village turns their backs and treats things like they are nothing...the children don't learn and ultimately suffer in the end.

angelmom0405
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:08 PM

They really put people in jail for little things like that and prosecute its theft and thats how its treated no matter wha it is that is taken

Quoting emilysmom8:

I think the loss prevention person was just trying to scare your son. No one will get arrested for a pack of gum

1boy1girlmama87
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:08 PM

sounds like he needs a ass whoopin' to me!

angelmom0405
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:12 PM

he has had lots of those!! im telling you i think we have exhausted every option there is.

Quoting 1boy1girlmama87:

sounds like he needs a ass whoopin' to me!

Bmat
by Barb on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:19 PM

The assume the parents will be able to apply more pressure without getting authorities involved and putting the young person in among people who would only teach him worse things. I know that some schools punish the parents if their child plays hooky too many times.

Quoting angelmom0405:

My son has been stealing things for over a yr now and he has been through so many programs and cops coming out it is really aggravating. I dont know what to do wih him anymore!!

So we were at walmart and he stole a pack of gum of course we catch him when we get out of the store. His stepfather took him in to a loss prevention officer and he said well i could turn him in a cop would come out and arrest him and he would go to juvenile detention and have court which i thought might just teach him a lesson(im out of options and patience) well if he did that i would get sued by walmart!! really i did not steal and the item was returned why on earth would i get sued they did not lose any money. so that said he gave him a talk and that was it!! How is it when you try to teach your child a lesson they make the parents pay?

angelmom0405
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:28 PM

They need to have more options to help children that are having problems without parents having to pay for it. especially when some parents cant afford to pay for it.

Quoting Bmat:

The assume the parents will be able to apply more pressure without getting authorities involved and putting the young person in among people who would only teach him worse things. I know that some schools punish the parents if their child plays hooky too many times.

Quoting angelmom0405:

Karebear6101
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:27 PM

I have a bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice with a concentration in juvenile justice. We see parents all the time trying to report their kids and it just makes things so much worse for your child. Imagine how your child feels knowing his parents would turn him into the police. Think of all the resentment that would cause which will bring a lot more problems involving rebellious and aggressive behaviors. It also doesn't look very good on the parents part when they basically try to hand their kids over because they don't want to deal with them. There is a reason your child is acting out and stealing. Has something changed in his life recently? Is he struggling in school or not getting enough attention at home? Try to figure out what it is and help your child through it. You can always try counseling to find out what is going on. Don't give up on your child. Reporting him to the juvenile authorities and letting him know that Mom will throw him under the bus will not help. Please don't take offense to my advice. Just trying to help. I have worked with so many kids and there is always a reason behind the negative behaviors that they are displaying. Also, the reason you would have to pay for his crimes is because you are responsible for him until he is 18 years old.

angelmom0405
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:44 PM

i have had him in couseling since he was 5 he is 11 and only going down hill switched counseling a few times cuz they dont help. his reasoning is he wans to live with his dad. i tried that his dad is unstable. He did the same stuff in his dads care. he is getting f's in school cuz  he refuses to do any work. he is not dumb he knows all of the stuff they are doing. I have no other option we have 7 other kids that dont need to follow his actions. yes i know i am responsible for him till 18 but there should be somewhere that these children can go to ge help if counseling does not work. He gets plenty of attention at home and the more that we try to give him attention the worse he gets. When parents have no where to turn then what is it that they should do?? I dont think people understand this situation until they are put in it with their own child.

Quoting Karebear6101:

I have a bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice with a concentration in juvenile justice. We see parents all the time trying to report their kids and it just makes things so much worse for your child. Imagine how your child feels knowing his parents would turn him into the police. Think of all the resentment that would cause which will bring a lot more problems involving rebellious and aggressive behaviors. It also doesn't look very good on the parents part when they basically try to hand their kids over because they don't want to deal with them. There is a reason your child is acting out and stealing. Has something changed in his life recently? Is he struggling in school or not getting enough attention at home? Try to figure out what it is and help your child through it. You can always try counseling to find out what is going on. Don't give up on your child. Reporting him to the juvenile authorities and letting him know that Mom will throw him under the bus will not help. Please don't take offense to my advice. Just trying to help. I have worked with so many kids and there is always a reason behind the negative behaviors that they are displaying. Also, the reason you would have to pay for his crimes is because you are responsible for him until he is 18 years old.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)