Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son had to be rushed to the hospital today

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:34 PM
  • 18 Replies

The kids are spending the weekend at their dad's and this morning I got a phone call from my ex saying my 6 yr old was having an allergic reaction and they were taking him to the hospital. So i met them there. His throat was swollen and was closing up making him not able to breath. When I got there they already had him hooked up to an IV and oxygen to help him breath and his lips were kinda blue.. I asked my ex what he ate to cause the reaction and he said he didn't know since he was just getting out of the shower and his gf gave the kids breakfast, So he called her to find out. She said she gave him Nutella, which has hazelnut in it. He is allergic to tree nuts! She claimed she didn't know even though I have heard my ex tell her twice what he is allergic to. btw i'm not blaming her, her comment just pisses me off since I know she knows. The kept him in the hospital for a few hours to make sure he was ok. He ended up coming home with me instead of going back to his dad's (his choice). The last time he had an allergic reaction was when he was 2 yr old when we first found out her was allergic to tree nuts, Today was one of the scariest days of my life and I hope we won't have to go through this again!

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom_of2_n_twins
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Good grief that would scare the piss out of me!

Bmat
by Barb on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:38 PM

How scary!  I am so glad to hear that he is OK.  I hope you don't have to go through this again also. The girlfriend probably didn't make the connection,  but now she'll be extra careful.

3totsinabox
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:39 PM

oh poor kid. Not saying she wasn't at fault, but maybe she was unaware the nutella had nuts in it.  even though nut is in the name, it almost taste and looks like chocolate.  Or maybe she didn't grasp the severity and figured he'd get hives or something.  Now she BETTER know better.   I'm glad to hear he is better :)

Lavanda
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:41 PM

maybe she wasnt thinking?  luckily he's ok.

SmilingMa
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:41 PM
Very scary!! I am sorry you guys had to go through that. Hopefully she will be more careful next time
Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:57 PM
Very scary! I'm glad he's back home and better now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quietsmilie
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:00 PM

So scary.  Glad he's ok.

chcon
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:00 PM

I'm glad he is ok.  My son is allergic to peanuts, but not treenuts.  He has nutella and jelly sandwiches instead of peanut butter.  :)  But, reading that makes me so nervous because he starts preschool in the fall! 

wubbunny420
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:02 PM

thats horriable and you would think that she would have a little more common sense to check labels knowing hes allergic to things.

offrdngal
by Terri on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Wow, what a scary situation.  I hope from now on, she'll be more careful.  Maybe she could make a list and keep it on the fridge or cabinet, so she can do a quick scan before making him something to eat.  Knowing your son has food allergies, maybe your ex should keep an epi-pen handy, for situations like this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)