Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I feel Bad For Them

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:37 PM
  • 21 Replies
My nieces and nephew used to live with my parents after my sister and brother-in-law died. Some things happened and I ended up getting custody of them. The court has told us that the kids have to visit my parents at least 2 times a month.
Today was their first visit since I have had custody of them. When I dropped them off the kids were crying and throwig a fit, they didn't want to see their grandparents at all. And when I picked them up they were so happy to leave. They told me that they never want to see their grandparents again. I feel bad for them. There is nothing I can do :(
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom_of2_n_twins
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Geez. What brought on that behavior? My kids love all of their grandparents! I think you should let your attorney know whats going on and that they really don't want to see them and maybe he can get the custody lifted or something.

Bmat
by Barb on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:40 PM

This is too bad all around.  Maybe you can talk up going to the grandparents. Find out what the children's favorite part of the visit, what they actually did like- such as grandma's cookies, perhaps, and talk that up, or find out what they didn't like- no yard to play in for example.  But be positive and relaxed about the visits. Good luck!

3totsinabox
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:42 PM

How old are they?  maybe if they are old enough,  you  can speak with your lawyer and get a judge to cancel the visitation? 

SmilingMa
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:44 PM
It is so freaking stupid!! After what my father did to my neice he shouldn't ever be allowed to be around them, but no they encourage visits like nothing even happened
SmilingMa
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:45 PM
They are 7,8 &11
3totsinabox
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:47 PM

well that doesnt sound good at all.  Sheesh.like they need more after loosing both parents.  is there anyway to appeal the courts?  or does that take a lot of money?

Quoting SmilingMa:

It is so freaking stupid!! After what my father did to my neice he shouldn't ever be allowed to be around them, but no they encourage visits like nothing even happened

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Maybe the grandparents have old fashioned discibline techniques. Also remember that kids know how to push your buttons so they don't have to do things also. My dd used to tell me about things at school and kids being mean because she thought maybe I would not send her. When I had confrence teacher said she noticed nothing like what she had said. My questioning skills improved and I could tell what was truth by how she answered the question.

Not to say there is no real reason since the kids were replaced with you, just kinda keep an eye on things and maybe see if it changes a bit. Ask specific things and see how the kids answer. Then maybe suggest supervised visits.

Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:07 PM
I'm sorry, Brooke. I really hope things get better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
earthangel1967
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 12:06 AM

awww that's awful. Can you take the kids to a child psychologist and see what the psychologist recommends and they might even give you back up in the court issue?

SmilingMa
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 10:23 AM
Quoting earthangel1967:

awww that's awful. Can you take the kids to a child psychologist and see what the psychologist recommends and they might even give you back up in the court issue?

We've tried
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)