• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

breastmilk

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:10 PM
  • 7 Replies

my son is now 3 weeks old, drinking a little over 3oz every 2 to 3 hrs. 

i pump and then bottle feed him because he has a hard time latching and takes 2x longer to feed.

my problem is my milk varies drastically from feeding to feeding and im having a hard time keeping up with his demand.

i've already been drinking mothers milk tea(promotes healthy lactation) for at least a week and half.

is there anything else that i could do to help increase my milk?

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
quietsmilie
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:15 PM

You might find mroe info in a breastfeeding group.  Here are some ideas to get you started:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/pumping_decrease.html

ThePinkRobot
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:35 PM
There are many things you could try. Taking fenugreek & eating oatmeal are 2 popular solutions that come to mind. You're giving him a little more milk than he needs though so if you cut back a bit you might find you're producing plenty. Do you plan on just pumping or are you going to try to get him to latch?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Habibti812
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 8:07 AM
Fenugreek and more frequent pumping sessions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessnjosh87
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 8:08 AM

eat tons of oatmeal, drink dark beer, pump more, LET HIM NURSE.

celestegood
by Silver Member on Jun. 5, 2011 at 8:13 AM

He is little, so he might nurse for forty five minutes, then an hour later, nurse again.  They can be like this and be totally normal.  A pump won't stimulate your supply, and you need him to suckle to stimulate and increase your supply.  I suggest putting him to your breast. 

You NEED NEED NEED to go over to the breastfeeding moms group here on cm!  They are great and very helpful.

Quoting jessnjosh87:

eat tons of oatmeal, drink dark beer, pump more, LET HIM NURSE.

MrsMWF
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 12:13 PM

nursing him is the best way to increase your supply

mama2mycuties
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Have you found a lactation consultant in your area or an IBCLC? he needs to be put to breast, its normal for baby to take a long time to nurse in the beginning :)

Pumping exclusively is VERY hard work mama, trust me in the long run you are going to want him to nurse directly. Please do join the bfing group!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)