Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

facebook/myspace

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:21 PM
  • 12 Replies
How old do you think kids should be when they are allowed to get a facebook or myspace account?
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3totsinabox
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:22 PM

myspace who has myspace anymore?  kids are on myspace and adults are on FB. lol.

504bbymami
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:22 PM
12?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3totsinabox
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:22 PM

oh and 14 is an ok age with supervision

offrdngal
by Terri on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:24 PM

I made my son's fb account, when he was 11.  I know his ID and password.  I am on his friends list.  I monitor his page daily.

SmilingMa
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:29 PM
Quoting 3totsinabox:

myspace who has myspace anymore?  kids are on myspace and adults are on FB. lol.

I have facebook, I have never been on myspace. Lol
SmilingMa
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:31 PM
My 11 year old niece wants facebook. I don't think she is old enough yet,
Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:12 PM
I say at a minimum, whatever the age on the site's TOS are. For example, CM says 16 so I don't think under 16 should be here. I think FB says 13. It won't let you do it without lying about the age until then I don't think. I know mom let my 10 year old sister make one and she had to change her birth year. I hate lying and it seems wrong to encourage it. Just my opinion though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ricky3smom
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Probably depends a lot on the kid. Mine is 9 1/2 and he's been permitted to play certain games on FB for about a year now. I should note that he's an extremely well-behaved little guy to whom it rarely occurs to actually disobey.

I do monitor his page and block inappropriate content from "friends" who are more mature playing the games he plays. (Vampire Wars and Farmville.) Needless to say, he's not permitted to use the instant messaging except with 2 kids we know personally (in real time) and I'm always in the room watching over him while he's online.

Ranee

earthangel1967
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:42 PM

I let my kids in late elementary but at that time made them have private profiles only allowing people we know and I friended them and monitored their pages and had their passwords. In middle school after they earned my trust they earned private passwords but I still kept an eye on their pages with their knowledge that I would.

Now they are older and choose to keep me as  friend awww

anyway we never had any problems with any of the 5 kids on their social networks

We never allowed computers in their bedrooms for safety... we bought a desktop for the kids to share with a large screen so I could see it from the living and dining room and kept it out in the main living area. I didnt stand over their shoulder but knew they were safer in my sights.

YVONNE

SouthALMommy
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:53 PM

When they pay the bills themselves :)

Really there are enough children with accounts these days that parents don't watch and I'm not willing to let my children run amuck on the internet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)