Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trouble making neighbor strikes again.....what to do if you were me?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:26 PM
  • 13 Replies

Hello,  I live in an apartment in suburban Ohio,  when I moved here I thought the neighbors were decent and it would be a good place for me and my two boys.  I was a single mom when I moved here and going through a lot.  Anyway this neighbor girl downstairs had a loser boyfriend who would go around to other neighbors and ask for money, claiming he didn't have gas for his car and his daughter was in the hospital, blah blah blah,   and turns out HE and this girl were heroin addicts.He eventually went to jail thank God,  but she still lives here.   I am 3 months pregnant and recently was going to the doctor. I accidentally backed into her NEW hoodlum boyfriend's motorcycle,  it tipped over, and he came out, running and screaming,  I calmed him down,  and STUPID ME,  my insurance on my car lapsed a week efore.   DUH.....PREGNANCY HORMONES....I FORGOT TO PAY MY POLICY.  Anyway he told me he'd just let things go after he assessed the motorcycle and saw no problems.   CLOSE CALL.  I immediately called my insurance agent and paid my policy.......now just today I get a note in my door from this girl downstairs,  wanting my insurance information,  claiming the bike was really damaged.  I mean, ok, it was my fault I hit the bike,  but it seems wierd that all of a sudden there is damage to the bike, and funnier...she mentions they are going on a BIKE TRIP but tells me the electrical system in the bike was hut down.    I know she is lying.......but the truth is,  I AM AT FAULT.   It just bothers me to think she would take advantage of people for her HABITS and get away with it.   And I have no leg to stand on.  what would you do if you were me,   THANKS FOR READING AND RESPONDING          KELL342

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ThePinkRobot
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:30 PM
Ask them to get an estimate for the damage to the bike.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WImom2
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Was there a police report?

katiebug840204
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:33 PM
I would call the cops and say what happened to cover ur butt so u could get a police report. Don't know that they would give u one tho cause the accident happened weeks prior. I guarantee they don't have insurance on that bike either. Don't give them ur insurance info! Ask for theirs!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KELL342
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:39 PM

FForgot to mention that no,  no police report was filed.  He was going to call police but I begged him not to, I told him what was going on,  that I was late in paying my premium.   Now funny, she wants insurance information.  So to shut her up,  we told her we'd pay for the bike to be "fixed"  but I have a feeling she is going to go any length to get money,  and LEGALLY she can,, since I had no insurance at the time of this, my policy lapsed......so what do I do???

threebrats
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Quoting katiebug840204:

I would call the cops and say what happened to cover ur butt so u could get a police report. Don't know that they would give u one tho cause the accident happened weeks prior. I guarantee they don't have insurance on that bike either. Don't give them ur insurance info! Ask for theirs!

I agree. Tell them you need their insurance info to pass on to your company. Let them know that your company will be handling it. Good luck!

3totsinabox
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Can they prove the date it happend?  I wouldn't give them your info.  Ask for theirs and let the insurance companies handle it.  I mean the worst that can happen is they take you small claims court.  but then they have to come up with the money to file. 

i am just joking, but if you are on Judge judy or the People's court lets us know :)

itty_bitty
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Quoting 3totsinabox:

Can they prove the date it happend?  I wouldn't give them your info.  Ask for theirs and let the insurance companies handle it.  I mean the worst that can happen is they take you small claims court.  but then they have to come up with the money to file. 

i am just joking, but if you are on Judge judy or the People's court lets us know :)

DakotaRose
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:44 PM

She can't get squat... deal with him only, it's his bike.

*edit.... ask for three or four estimates and pay them directly after you call and make sure they are legitimate.

bec94
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:47 PM
That's what I was going to say. Deal only with him on it.

Quoting DakotaRose:

She can't get squat... deal with him only, it's his bike.

*edit.... ask for three or four estimates and pay them directly after you call and make sure they are legitimate.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heybooboo
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Well, for situations like this, it is usually required that a claim be filed immediately.  And in some states a police report is required in order to file a claim.

If it were me, I would contact your insurance and find out what statutes come into play.

Also, if his bike is not insured, he could be in trouble.  If the bike is not at the registered addressed, then he probably can not file a claim against you.  Because by LAW he is required to be insured as well.  If he isnt, he can be seen as at fault for not having the bike properly stored.

They would also have to be willing to supply an estimate from an approved mechanic.  They cant just go to the insurance and say "hey so and so backed over the bike and now we have $2000 in damages" .  The insurance would require they first file a claim and then take the bike to an approved mechanic.  And there maybe a statue of limitations on that, in regards to timeliness.  I would think anything that is not reported right away loses the chance to file.  Because there is that time in between where the bike could have been damaged elsewhere.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)