Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

very smelly gas and poop in toddler

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2011 at 11:47 AM
  • 18 Replies

So I am just curious if anyone has any advice. My dd is 2 years old and it seems that she just has the most horrible smelling gas.... im not sure how long it has been going on but more than 2 months i would say! its worse some days than others and she has very smelly poop. I know poop stinks but its nasty smelling most days!!! she also goes through fazes where for 2 days she has super loose runny stools and then she has very hard to pass stools! its weird. then it goes back to normal where its a hard/soft consistancy. it is also normally very dark and slimy looking. should i be concerned about this or is this pretty normal??? i tend to over worry about things and my husband never sees a problem!!! :/ I just wanted to check what other mommas thought!

by on Jun. 29, 2011 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amanda471
by on Jun. 29, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Hi there...my daughter had something like this thought it was either she was drinking too much juice during the day or perhaps a lactose intolerance.  We gave her less juice and more water and changed her milk to the lactose free (she still eats yogurt and cheese) and the syptoms all went away-no more gas and her stoll looks normal.  Maybe have a dr check her for lactose/dairy issues or cut down on juice or water the juice down considerably....hope this helps...good luck! 

superexcitedmom
by on Jun. 29, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Quoting Amanda471:

Hi there...my daughter had something like this thought it was either she was drinking too much juice during the day or perhaps a lactose intolerance.  We gave her less juice and more water and changed her milk to the lactose free (she still eats yogurt and cheese) and the syptoms all went away-no more gas and her stoll looks normal.  Maybe have a dr check her for lactose/dairy issues or cut down on juice or water the juice down considerably....hope this helps...good luck! 

would a lactose problem just arise? i mean i dont remember her ever having a problem when younger or while i was breastfeeding... and lately she hasnt had much milk at all! I do water her juice way down! usually a 1/4 juice and rest water! i will try these things and talk to the doc. Thank you!!!

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Jun. 29, 2011 at 12:32 PM
I would look into her diet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Usually slime ( mucus) is an indication of an allergy/intolerance.

sweettigeress
by on Jun. 29, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Could be something she's eating.

Bmat
by Barb on Jun. 29, 2011 at 12:57 PM

My guess is something she is eating is disagreeing with her.  You may want to try eliminating certain foods for a week at a time and see if any of them make a difference. Also, allergies will do this- clogged sinuses that drip down the back of the throat and irritate the stomach. But I think it would be something that she's eating. Maybe even try switching to soy milk.

superexcitedmom
by on Jun. 29, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Thanks ladies!!!! I will talk to her pedi about it too!!! I never thought about a food allergy with her! although i have been worried that maybe my son has a lactose problem (he is breastfed and has had a gas issue and stuff for a while) but she never had problems as a baby!!! I will look into eliminating things! :)

karina400
by on Jun. 29, 2011 at 2:13 PM
When did she wean?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yellyell083
by on Jun. 29, 2011 at 2:15 PM

My 2yo does this....so i will be watching this post. I think a lot of his is diet...

superexcitedmom
by on Jun. 29, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Quoting karina400:

When did she wean?

13 to 14 months.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN