Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP! advice for my niece

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:25 AM
  • 13 Replies

M niece is 17. she has really harsh periods and is suffering and since I've NEVER had experience with this I was wondering if you ladies might have some input.

her periods are NEVER regular. she has cycles that range from 18 -50 days.

when she does have a period it is either really light spotting for the whole time or super heavy periods.

when she has her period she has severe cramping that is NOT relieved with midol, heating pads, showers, sleeping.

her back starts to hurt and burn with the cramping

she has severe bloating and swelling in her feet

her knees ache with her period too.

she also gets terrible migraines during this time.

She has tried 4 kinds of birth control but says that they all make her sick AND they don't help with her periods.

have you ever had an experience with this? I told her that she should go to the doctor about it and she will but we were wondering if you have any insight in the direction we should point the doc?

pregnancy due date

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
allabout11708
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:25 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2ljh
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:26 AM

I had severe cramping with periods, but never anything like that.  I hope someone is able to help her.

07mandi10
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:27 AM

i would talk 2 her dr that is not normal gl

mom2b116

have her get checked for  PCOS  and if they doc try telling her its just due to age tell them bull shit and make them test

KedrynsMommie
ovarian cysts or endometriosis? Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
onefootcutiepie

sounds like endometriosis. I have it too and my periods were horrific (I've since had a hysterectomy). I would literally turn green and vomit the first couple days of every period. Birth control never worked for me, but there are things you can do to help. She does need to see a good doc though.

lfrrll5
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:28 AM
I am sorry I have no clue but here is a bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2b116
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:29 AM

forgot to say this is what i have .. and it sucks but  there are things that can help

Quoting mom2b116:

have her get checked for  PCOS  and if they doc try telling her its just due to age tell them bull shit and make them test

MumsTheWord571
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:55 AM

how do they test for PCOS or Endometriosis? I'll be going with her to the doc when she does so that I can insist on the testing!! Her mom has been kind of oh okay about it when they tell her that it's "normal" and "just her age" but I really don't think it's normal or her age!! she is seriously dying when her period comes around. I hate to see her in so much pain!

onefootcutiepie
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Ultrasound and blood test for PCOS....symptoms and history for endo. Though, with endo they will often suggest a laparoscopic surgery as that's the only way to see how bad it is. Either one is often treated first with BC pills, and then move on to other things. They will often try some different things with endo before suggesting the surgery, but I will say I had my first surgery at 16 because I was so bad off. I also get ovarian cysts that leak blood, and that is VERY painful as well. It could be any number  of things, but her mom and her need to stress just HOW much pain she is in and all her symptoms to the doc. You can't just say "it hurts when I get my period"....because, well, that IS normal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)