Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

fireworks warning for kids!

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:05 AM
  • 9 Replies
I was just talking to a friend, who had a firework blow up on her and severely burned her hand.. The culprit though wasn't a typical problematic firework, but a Sparkler!

Her granddaughter was spinning around with one, the long 2ft ones they say are great for children, and she took it away cause she didn't want her to fall on it. When she took it, the sucker blew up. Flames shot down the sparkler and into her hand and actually knocked her backwards. She is getting skin grafts etc... Can u imagine that happening to that little 2 year old!

Be warned that sparklers are not as safe as they seem...yikes!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
my2specialgirls
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:09 AM

I don't let my children hold them I stick them in the ground and let the children watch them that way. Thats very scary!

heidi749
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:14 AM

Holly crap that is scary. 

marriedmomma3
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Actually sparklers are the most dangerous firework there is.  Accidents like that by the truck loads every year

Aamy
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:24 AM
Let's see, Thinking any fire work is safe for kids..... yeah. It's STILL a fire work. We did sparkled for DD , the small ones and had a bucket of water right there to dunk it in. You have to be careful. I burnt my thumb on those stupidly bright little magnesium bomb things. Also kids need to stay away from ones that ppl think are duds. There still could be a spark and make it go off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cheribomb
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:29 AM

my kids arent really into sparklers or fireworks.  its the weirdest thing but im glad...less likely to be hurt by them :)

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:55 AM

I don't mess with any of those things.

LilDzMamma2010
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:58 AM
Nothing that is meant to be set on fire is meant for childs play. That's JMO
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:21 PM

One of the many reasons we have a whole set of rules for them.

Sometimes kids can get burned while following all kinds of precautions though. My girl currently has burns on her legs from having a firework blow up in front of her. We were sitting in a parking lot, more than 75 feet away from where a couple of people were setting some off. One of the ones that go up in the air fell over and started going across the ground. The first made it past the guys setting them off, but the rest they were able to block with their bodies and redirect. The one that made it past them went straight for the group of kids sitting on the pavement. So fast we weren't able to get everyone out of the way. Just one of those freak accidents that you realize you're lucky it wasn't worse.

momof3angela
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Yep, they can do some serious damage. I hope she is ok.  Saying some prayers for her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)