Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my lo isn't getting enough sleep. i need help!!!

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:14 AM
  • 6 Replies

my lo is 5 months old and she will only sleep at night for 7 to 8 hrs. during the day she has 2 naps about an hr to an hr an 1/2 long. i've tlked with her dr about this and she suggested the book the happiest baby on the block.  i've read it and it doesn't seem relative to my 5 month old's sleeping problems. they say babies her age should get  up to 12 hrs at night and 2 naps aday. i don't know what to do. i have changed her sleeping schedule trying to get her to sleep long at night. ( i've got her to take her last nap between 4 and 6 ) and she ended up staying up till  1 am.  our norm was after her last feeding of formula and cereal  bed at 11 pm.  she'd wake up at 7- 7;30 am.  any suggestions other than that book i would be happy to hear.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
CAMKsMom
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:43 AM

When my little one was 5 months, she was up every 2-4 hours...Count your blessings that she sleeps 7-8 hours in one stretch.

From 0 to 6 months, your baby needs 14 to 16.5 hours of sleep per 24 hours.

From 6 to 12 months, they need 14 to 15 hours of sleep per 24 hours.

Regarding nap schedules----

From 4 to 8 months, 3 or more naps.  The first nap usually starts one to one and a half hours after baby wakes up.  The second nap usually starts approximately two to three hours after the first nap ends (usually no earlier than 11am)  The first two naps each last about one and a half to two hours.  The third nap usually begins between 3:30 and 5:30 pm (and lasts 30 to 60 minutes)  Your baby should be awake for two hours before her third nap.

From 9 to 14 months, Two naps.  The first nap usually starts anywhere from 9am to 9:30 am, or two and a half hours after your child wakes up in the morning.  The second nap usually starts between 12:30pm and 2:30 pm or two and a half to three hours after your child's first nap ends.  These two naps usually last a total of two to four hours.

Really it sounds like your little one is doing great and sleeping through the night at 5 months to me sounds like a blessing and not something a doctor should have caused you to read a book about.

CAMKsMom
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:50 AM

The above was from Milestones and More by Penny Pohrer Schneithorst

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:50 AM

My son woke up every hour and a half for the first 6 months and then every few hours, until way after being a year old. He has NEVER been a big sleeper. He still gets up once a night and he is now 5 1/2.

hannabellesmama
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:53 AM

she wakes up at 7 -8 am, and wont take her 1st nap till after 1pm and it last for and hr to an hr 1/2 then her next nap is between 4-6 it last about the same as the 1st nap and thats it for naps. so she gets about 12 to 13 hrs of sleep the whole day. so i'm not sure if thats ok for her to only get 12 to 13 hrs a sleep a day or if shes just not a big sleeper, she always seems tried and i try to put her down when she rubs her eyes or shows signs of sleepiness but won't go to sleep even ater cio. if thats normal for some babies to not get that much sleep then i'd be fine and move on, i just want to make sure shes ok and nothings wrong

mamakenzi
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:00 AM
All babies are different. Your baby is sleeping a lot more then many. I wouldn't worry if I were you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:12 AM

I agree with Kenzi. All babies are different. It sounds like overall she's getting a good amount of sleep.

If you want her to sleep more at night, have you tried putting her to bed earlier?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)