Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Renter rights

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:29 AM
  • 12 Replies

Ok, question for you ladies. I just moved out of a house. We scrubbed that place head to toe, even had the carpets cleaned. I touched up the walls with the landladys paint and it dried a different color and stands out like a sore thumb. She is telling me to "fix it or I will charge you to repaint the whole house." I told her I would GLADLY retouch up the house if she provided the paint, but I dont feel she can charge me to repaint the entire house because her paint dried differently on the walls. Still she says "fix it." I said I have no idea what color they used and I do not want to buy paint that doesnt match and she says she has no clue either. What would you do???

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Take a chip of the orginal paint off the wall and take it in to the paint shop. They will match it for you. Unfortunately, it IS your responsibility, and you may have to paint the whole wall, wherever you did the touch ups.

Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:42 AM

I just went to Lowes to have some old faded paint chips matched up. They did an awesome job can't even tell the difference. 

I agree with AM-Brat, BTW.

Quoting AM-BRAT:

Take a chip of the orginal paint off the wall and take it in to the paint shop. They will match it for you. Unfortunately, it IS your responsibility, and you may have to paint the whole wall, wherever you did the touch ups.

Kimberly954
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:05 AM

I guess I just dont understand why its my responsibility when I used HER paint that she told me to use.........it was the right color. It was just old. I hate buying a new paint and then it would be my responsibility if it didnt match.

Quoting AM-BRAT:

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Then tell her that. If she gave you the paint and it was wrong, it is her problem. Or use the can she gave you to paint the whole damn wall so it doesn't look funky.

Where is people's personal responsibility anymore? The house needs to look nice when you move out. Work it out with her. Or buy some paint and deal with it. It's part of renting, and getting your deposit back.

ingrid198
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Quoting AM-BRAT:

Then tell her that. If she gave you the paint and it was wrong, it is her problem. Or use the can she gave you to paint the whole damn wall so it doesn't look funky.

Where is people's personal responsibility anymore? The house needs to look nice when you move out. Work it out with her. Or buy some paint and deal with it. It's part of renting, and getting your deposit back.

agreed. i know im going to have to repaint A LOT of our rented house when we move because of the kids, chips etc but we need to leave it in the condition we got it especially so we can get our security deposit back. gl

23 year old SAHM of two beautiful babies, Aiden july 5, 2008 & Sophia April 6 2010!

dkaam05
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:17 AM

We never had to paint before we moved out of an apartment.  They always did it.  I would try the paint chip thing.  Sucks you have to buy a can of paint but seems better than dealing with her.

Kimberly954
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Oh, I agree the house needs to look nice. I went above and beyond when I moved out....its definitely cleaner than we got it. She did NOTHING before we moved in.....didnt repaint or even touch up, didnt clean, didnt have the carpets cleaned EVER and they were dirty, we cleaned them. This landlady has been such a flake...she is forcing us to hand over the keys a couple days early because she has someone else moving in and I know she will still charge us to the end of the term. I am even ok with her buying the paint, taking that from my security and us doing the touch up....i just dont want to be held responsible for purchasing an incorrect color for her.

Quoting AM-BRAT:

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:49 PM

I hate dealing with flakes. But truly, it doesn't matter what she did or didn't do, you chose to move in regardless and ultimately agreed to a deposit and it's terms yes? She's the owner, deal with it. She could screw you and that would suck.  :(

mamakenzi
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Get paint that matches the color you used to touch up and paint the rooms you touched up.  Problem solved.

WandBmamma
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:58 PM
How long have u lived there??? In the state of CA they can not charge you for paint after two years and only half after one. Idk what state you live in but you should be able to look up the renters association on your pc and it will give a list of all the laws.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)