Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

allergic to mosquitoes? and anti itch creams?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:44 AM
  • 17 Replies
I live in sw fla. so mosquitoes get really bad after rain.
Well when my daughter (16 months) gets bit, alot of times, they swell. and are huge! not just a small bump.

is it possible to be allergic to mosquitoes?
and she scratches them so bad, that they are open sores. i use "after bite" (before she scratches them open). its a liquid in a stick. which its supposed to help with the itching. but it doesnt. it does help the swelling a little tho.

what is really good for itchy bug bites?

i was thinking calamine (sp) lotion. its the pink stuff. (i remember being painted pink when i was little, when i had chicken pox lol)
but do you think it would work for mosquito bites?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:47 AM

I think it's possible to be allergic to anything lol.

There's gotta be natural repellents, but I don't know what they are. As for itching, benadryl maybe?

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Oh and the calamine would prolly work for sure! It's a soother right? I would try it if that's what I had...

Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Yeah, it's possible. The small swell most people get along with the itch is a small mosquito allergy. Some people can be bit and have nothing. When I get bit the bites swell up huge! And after a bunch, my whole body is itchy. For a lot, I take benadryl orally, for a few I use either the benadryl cream, or if I don't have that I break up a benadryl capsule and mix it with about a shot glass of lotion and put that on (wrap the glass in plastic wrap to save what doesn't get used).

Wrap ice in a rag and hold it to the bite for a few minutes, that takes away the itch and swelling for a while.

ingrid198
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:11 AM

cordizone also makes a good itch cream. gl mama

chefmartha
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:16 AM

It's an old wives tale but I've seen it work.... Try spraying her with a little vinegar (regular kind not wine kind). She may smell like a salad for a bit but it works as a repellant for short amounts of time and also cuts back on the swelling and itching. During the times when mosquitoes are their worst, keep her inside. Lastly, check with your doctor about an antihistamine, either oral or topical for the itching.

kidkrazyinAK
by Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Me and my kids use Gold-Bond...the one in the yellow tube. It works better than any other product I have tried.

momof3angela
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Quoting ingrid198:

cordizone also makes a good itch cream. gl mama

We have a tube of it on the couch b/c we are getting eaten alive this summer...it really helps...that and ice.

SouthTxPrincess
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:27 PM
my fiance is allergic and this is what we do.

Quoting Kiwismommy19:

Yeah, it's possible. The small swell most people get along with the itch is a small mosquito allergy. Some people can be bit and have nothing. When I get bit the bites swell up huge! And after a bunch, my whole body is itchy. For a lot, I take benadryl orally, for a few I use either the benadryl cream, or if I don't have that I break up a benadryl capsule and mix it with about a shot glass of lotion and put that on (wrap the glass in plastic wrap to save what doesn't get used).

Wrap ice in a rag and hold it to the bite for a few minutes, that takes away the itch and swelling for a while.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lfrrll5
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:29 PM
they are horrible hear as well. I was in back doing some maintenance on my van before I take a drive later and I got 5 bites in 20 minutes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aviatioNation
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:32 PM

I'm allergic to mosquitos, so I know it's possible. When I get bit I put on a baking soda paste, it helps with the itch and the swelling but it makes a mess as the baking soda dries and starts to fall off.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)