Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I feel unaccomplished and need some advice please!!!!

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 11:49 PM
  • 15 Replies
Ok so this may be long but its on my mind and I don't have anyone to really talk to. I am a 23 year old stay at home mom of two little girls. My oldest is 3 and my youngest is about to turn 1. I feel like I have no accomplishments to show them and to have them learn from. I know they are to young right now to see this but I was thinking maybe I could change this. I graduated high school with a nys regents diploma and tried college but only made it one semester. I never have had real dreams of becoming anything which makes me so sad. I was laid off last January and have been home since. I look at the want ads and though I have worked since I was fifteen I feel so unqualified for all of the jobs. I don't need to work because my husband makes enough to pay the bills but if I did it would be nice. I bought a kit for nail designs the other night and really liked doing all my nieces toes. They all came out so good. I thought maybe I could go to school and get my nail tech license but I don't know if I can do it. I dropped out of college I don't want to fail again. I want to show my girls I am something other than just a mom that I can do things in my own and make my own money. I just don't know what that should be or how to go about doing it. I was hoping maybe someone has been throuhh this and maybe has some advice. Sorry this is so long and all bunched together my phone doesn't cooperated with cm.
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bbmkfo03
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 1:20 AM

So sorry you feel this way but you do have a lot to show your children! Show them pieces of your personality, tenderness, patience, kindness...those are great accomplishments to show your children. Also, going to nail tech school sounds like a great idea, especially if you like it. I know when I became a SAHM I felt like I lost a big part of my life since I wasn't technically "working" anymore. But in time I learned that teaching my DD about having fun, enjoying life and learning new things are way more important (and fun!) than any job I'd had before.

Good luck to you :)

momk23
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 3:35 AM

I agree with the pp.  Show your girls that you CHOOSE to be a stay at home mom because you love them, and that you are happy and secure in that choice.  If you want to work outside the home, though, do it.  Don't worry about failing, if you never try you will never succeed,  You could also get involved in some sort of volunteering, maybe something all of you could help out with.

carolina_gal
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2011 at 9:05 AM

hugs

Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 12, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Very well said, momk23!

I did a lot of volunteering when I was a SAHM. It is good for the children to see the adult give back to the community.

Quoting momk23:

I agree with the pp.  Show your girls that you CHOOSE to be a stay at home mom because you love them, and that you are happy and secure in that choice.  If you want to work outside the home, though, do it.  Don't worry about failing, if you never try you will never succeed,  You could also get involved in some sort of volunteering, maybe something all of you could help out with.

Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 12, 2011 at 9:20 AM

It does sound as though you have an interest in nails, so go ahead.  It is scary because you had trouble in college, but you can do it!

amanda81919
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 9:33 AM
I felt the same way like I meant nothing. But I made it through one year but then that was it, but when my kids were the same ages as yours I went for my CNA I did it and I don't have a job yet but I feel more accomplished. I like you don't have to work b/c my husband makes more than enough, and its something I wanted to try. But. You gotta do it for you and talk to your husband about taking care of the kids even for 1 hour a night just to study for me it was hard b/c he works out most days so I had to try and study with the kids not so easy but now am a CNA and it may not seem like much to most but it was huge to us after workjing warehouses and retail and farms for so long. Sorry so long and good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweettigeress
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 10:08 AM

I agree with this. Hang in there.

Quoting bbmkfo03:

So sorry you feel this way but you do have a lot to show your children! Show them pieces of your personality, tenderness, patience, kindness...those are great accomplishments to show your children. Also, going to nail tech school sounds like a great idea, especially if you like it. I know when I became a SAHM I felt like I lost a big part of my life since I wasn't technically "working" anymore. But in time I learned that teaching my DD about having fun, enjoying life and learning new things are way more important (and fun!) than any job I'd had before.

Good luck to you :)

NarutoSasukeSakuraKiba Hinata Shino  InoShikamaruChoji Neji   Lee  Tenten

KayDziedzic
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 10:27 AM

I could have written this, except I'm 25, have 3 kids, I quit my jobs, and I started work at 14 :) I often feel this way, too. Once your girls are both in school, you can go back to school, volunteer, get a new job.  I bet your kids will be flattered to know when they're older that you sort of put the rest of your life on hold to give them the best of yourself when they needed you most. It tough when so many people don't see being a SAHM for the huge job and accomplishment that it is. But in a few short years your girls will be in school and you'll do those things, and you'll do them well knowing your kids will see the effort you put in and follow your example.

Where in ny are you? I know ECC in western NY offers free college readiness courses. Maybe you could find something similar in your area to brush up, and go for your nail tech license.

brianacisna79
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 10:37 AM
Alot of places have nail parties! Kinda like a mary kay party. You should go for it. You can do it. But if something comes up and uou didnt get through you can stress to your kiddos that you tried and did your best. Something we should be teaching anyways. But I believe you will be fine and I will pray for you to have the strength to give it a shot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charley427
by Member on Jul. 12, 2011 at 11:10 AM
Thank you everyone I really appreciate all the kind words. The trouble I had in college was a man I let in my life which was my fault completely because before him I had a 4.0 gpa. I just feel like maybe getting my nail tech licence would be fun to have and maybe make a little here and there. I don't want the career thing right now because my babies are so young but a hobby with benefits would be great. I am so glad I posted this and I am glad it gave me the courage to express this to my hubby. He's a great man but I wasn't sure exactly what to say. He tjinks ita a great idea. Now time to do some research and see what I will need to do next.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN