Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ahh!!! HELP! THE TERRIBLE TWOS!

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:06 AM
  • 9 Replies
My beautiful baby boy has turned into a lil monster! He just turned two on monday and it seems like his behavor switched right around his 2nd bday. Like not staying in his crib climbing out a shaking a whole bottle of baby powder all over, opening sippy cups and dumping the contents everywhere, and just this morning put some thing from my jewelery box down the toliet! Ahh! I dont know how I'm going to get through the year. Any advice from experiened moms is greatly appriciated. I don't have a mom myself to go to during times like these me being a first time mom and everything. Thanks for all the help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Never been through that (I think she's saving up to be a real pain come the teen years!), but here's a good luck bump  :-)

I hope you get some good advice!

busymom64064
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:13 AM
My 2 year doesn't really act like this "knock on wood".....but he does hit and throw fits lol. My suggestion would be (i used to be a nanny) to get toilet locks, door knob covers (for his room and bathrooms and doors leading to outside)(if you have a back sliding door, get a wooden rod or something that you can stick in. The bottom to prevent it from opening), put a lock on a cabinet and put all baby powders,etc in there. Getting out of bed is a normal thing. Just calmy go back in there and keep putting him back into bed (without saying a word)(also wait longer each time before going in.....5min then 10min,etc.....). It may take awhile but he will eventually get the hint. Now the silly cup thing, I can't really help you on that one sorry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom_to_Skyler
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Normal inquisitive child behavior. 

Help him be successful.  Put things away until he can control himself.  Get doorknob covers to keep him out of restricted areas. 

My son didn't go through the "terrible twos."  He's a very calm, mostly compliant child.  But around age three he went through a stage.  At least once a week my hubby was suggesting we take him to get his hearing tested.  But it was normal and he's back to his sweet self (just turned five).

My daughter, however, is another story.  She'll be two next month and throws the biggest fits if she doesn't get what she wants.  I attribute it to her verbal skills.  She's speaking really well, in complex sentences.  In the beginning, we encouraged her speaking by being a big indulgent with her.  Positive reinforcement.  Now that she's established, we've started being more restrictive.  So she reacts to us taking away what was previously "hers." 

Here's an example - Four/five months ago my daughter could say "Go in bedroom now."  So we would let her know that we understood her by taking her in our bedroom. 

Our children are not allowed in our bedroom unless we are in there.  So last weekend I was in there putting away clothes and she was with me.  When I was done, I picked her up and carried her out.  She wanted to stay.  After I closed the door (which does have a doorknob cover on it) she threw herself in the floor screaming.  I ignored the tantrum and just kept saying "It's time to come out.  You're not allowed in Mama and Daddy's bedroom without us there."

ManuelsMommy09
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:54 PM
Thats some good ideas. Just somedays I wanna pull my hair out lol! He hasn't started speaking in sentences yet but maybe thats why he is acting out cause he can't commuicate very well yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
canthaveboys1
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Good Luck! I have one there now. She is a monster.

It gets better, but then there is the ferocious 4's.

-PB
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:23 PM

I have a monster too.  She will be 2 on the 1st.  :-(

khloesmom615
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Hang in there!  Have a lot of patienance and laugh at some of the stuff as it could be worse than it is.  He's exploring and wanting to see what his limits are with you. 

Good Luck!

khloesmom615
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:48 PM

BUMP!

ManuelsMommy09
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:43 PM
Thanks Ladies for the support and advice I know that this too shall pass but not soon enough lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)