Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Daycare...

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:17 PM
  • 6 Replies

MY DD who is 21 months just started a new daycare on Monday. So far, it isn't going well. My husband and I feel horrible with how sad and clingy she has been. Any advice from other mommas?

How do I help the transition?

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Rychelle
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:34 PM

ive never had my kids in day care but ive worked in one.. when this happend in my class it really just took time for them to adjust. does she have a special stuffed animal or blanket she can bring for security?

MamaBear2cubs
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:39 PM

I run a small daycare and have some experience with separation anxiety. The only thing that works is time. Each child is different and will adjust in their own time. As long as she is not showing signs of mistreatment and is adjusting and not distressed all day  I'd wait it out. Does she have a stuffy or something that you could send along with her to make her more secure?

robynjavan7104
by Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:41 PM
My son started started daycare at 3 and it the beginning it was hard because he was fine the first week then started crying a lot. I just let him know I would be back later and walked out. I didn't show him that I was upset and didn't take a lot of time to say goodbye. It was hard I would literally walk out the room and start crying but after a week he was fine. I would also call and check on him and by the time I got to work he was fine
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvemboth
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:44 PM
My dd was about that age when she started going, and the separation anxiety only lasted about a week. After that 1st week she loved going and didn't even notice when we left. Just try toughing it out a few more days. GL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gwebkeijmmm
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:48 PM
I run a daycare from home and, depending on the age, it takes 2-3 weeks for the average child to be 100% comfortable staying. My best advice is don't prolong the drop off. Take her in, and go. Kids calm down a lot faster this way. When their parents linger, they cry longer and harder. Give it a little more time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rychelle
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:52 PM

yes tha is great advice!

Quoting gwebkeijmmm:

I run a daycare from home and, depending on the age, it takes 2-3 weeks for the average child to be 100% comfortable staying. My best advice is don't prolong the drop off. Take her in, and go. Kids calm down a lot faster this way. When their parents linger, they cry longer and harder. Give it a little more time.

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)