Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bipolar/manic warning signs

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:37 PM
  • 10 Replies
What are the signs? How did you know that you or someone else was bipolar? Are there any dead give aways?

I think DH is. Been thinking it for awhile. One minute he loves me and the next minute he doesn't know. I ask him for help and he threatens to leave because he shouldn't have to do anything except work and come home even tho I work full time too.
he cries over extreme home Makeover but will say FU to me in a second.
I guess the final straw was when he "popped " our 7 month old for not being still. I'm still furious and we aren't speaking. Now his behavior is affecting my girls and I'm honestly uneasy around him now. He's like a time bomb ready to go off.
I want to make him see a Dr but he refuses. I just don't know what to do
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvemboth
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:44 PM
Bump. I've been wondering the same thing about my mil, so I'm curious what others have to say.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Sorry it sounds like he is depressed and not liking his life right now. Nothing points to bipolar to me.

chrisdoll
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:14 PM
I have a degree in psych and I agree with PEEK. Bi polar is severe manic stages (or what is known as extreme highs and lows). I am bipolar depressive and my mother is bipolar (and won't admit it). If he cannot make up his mind on how he feels it seems like he needs professional help to figure out his problems.

Quoting PEEK05:

Sorry it sounds like he is depressed and not liking his life right now. Nothing points to bipolar to me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrisdoll
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:21 PM
Also, you cannot 'make' him do anything. The most I can suggest is if you think this is a bad environment for your children and self, you need to see about him leaving or you leaving. Bipolar disorder isn't as cut and dry as most think, but it really sounds like he is hitting that age where men are 'menapausal' and some just don't want the wife, kids and responsibility anymore. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blessedwboysx3
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:04 PM

I was diagnosed with Bipolar I three years ago.  My friends had been telling me for years but I refused to admit it.   The signs were pretty blantant to my friends.

It started with severe depression, I couldn't get of bed, I shut myself off to my family.  I would get up for work, come home and sleep or rage.  When I wasn't sleeping or working, I was partying sometimes entire weekends and not coming home.  I was put on anti-depressants which sent me into mania, I was sleeping around, partying more, rarely home, finally left my family.

It wasn't until I started feeling the signs, such as fast speech, being overly obsessive, very dangerous behavior (blowing up to $500 a week on clothes), sleeping with random people at least 2 or 3 times a week.  It wasn't until I spent an entire weekend with a Chippendales dancer and ditched my son's baseball game with a lame excuse that I realized something was very very wrong with me.

I was diagnosed with Bipolar shortly after that.

I was pretty extreme but not as extreme as others.  Most people from my experience won't admit they are bipolar, I didn't for a long time.  I didn't want to admit even when I figured it out on my own.  I'd been in counseling for a year by then, and when I told her she told me she already knew but was waiting for me to admit it.  Counseling and medication have helped me tremendously - I'm back home now and have mended the relationship with my children and husband.

My friend send the DSM IV criteria and that's how I figured it out:

http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/psychology/781/dsm.htm

Christy644
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:07 PM

there is a difference between bipolar and plain ol asshole.

blessedwboysx3
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:37 PM

LOL - so true!!!!!

Quoting Christy644:

KayDziedzic
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:50 PM

You should consider contacting a women's shelter so that, should this behavior escalate, you'll be aware of what services and help are available, and how to use them quickly if the need arises. Hopefully it won't come to that, but hitting a baby for fidgetting is a scary warning sign that a home with your husband in it may not be in your or your kids best interest until he's ready to get help. At the very least, see a counselor yourself.

My mom's bipolar, and her emotional swings aren't a minute-to-minute thing, they're more like a switch to crazy lady for a week or two every month or so.

Please look into worst-case scenario options, just so you know what your options are should things get worse. 

I'm so sorry you're going through this, hope things change for the better!

EmmaKatesMom902
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 3:11 PM
Thanks for everyone's help. I'm beginning to think the asshole thing is all it is. I don't deserve this and neither do my kids. I want them to have a normal family with both parents. I'm willing to sacrifice my happiness for theirs anyday but not when it becomes unsafe. I just don't know what to do.

Quoting Christy644:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Wow, your poor little baby! I would give him an ultimatum. Go see a DR or we are leaving, you have to keep your kid safe.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)