Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I NEED ADVICE ON A PET I'M THINKING OF GETTING FOR MY DAUGHTER!

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:44 PM
  • 31 Replies

HELLO MOMMIES, I WANTED TO ASK IS A WIENER DOG  A GOOD DOG TO GET AS A FIRST PET? 

MY DAUGHTER IS 4 YRS OLD AND SHE IS ALWAYS ASKING ME TO GET HER A WIENER DOG, BUT I'M NOT SURE IF THEY ARE GOOD WITH KIDS.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
manda14311
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:46 PM
I've known three. Each was bad with EVERYBODY lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kristy0833
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:48 PM

they tend to be pissy expecially with kids :(

AKluth
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:52 PM

I've heard they can be cranky, but DHs parents got one when SIL was like 3 or 4 and she was a great dog!!  I only heard good stories.. she got really fat but was super nice.. she passed away 2 years ago

KyliesMom5
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Dachshunds can be a good family pet however this is not a breed a I recommend with young children. They are stubborn and have a no nonsense nature that can result in conflicts with children.  They are also are prone to back problems and disc problems that a child could cause accidentally by playing to rough. 

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:54 PM

I am 46 and have only in my life been bitten once and it was when i was a young child and it was by a wiener dog......

Amybelle
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:55 PM

My Cousin has 4 & they "work" as Therapy Dogs.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:58 PM

i dont like suggesting a specific breed......because in my opinion, people should get dogs that will adapt to their lifestyle......i love border collies.....but i would never get one, because i know they need LOTS of exercise, and lots of land to run around on....getting the "perfect" dog depends on the way you live life, and what you can offer the dog. 

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:00 AM

as for whether or not theyd be a good first pet.....it all depends on the specific dog....not the breed...i have a golden ret who would bite your face off if you came near him......and yet theyre known for being "family dogs" soooo......lol..it all depends!

KyliesMom5
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:05 AM

Quoting alexis_06:

i dont like suggesting a specific breed......because in my opinion, people should get dogs that will adapt to their lifestyle......i love border collies.....but i would never get one, because i know they need LOTS of exercise, and lots of land to run around on....getting the "perfect" dog depends on the way you live life, and what you can offer the dog. 

I agree but You should also look at the individual dog because they don't all fit the mold.  I used to say the same thing about Border collies and Aussies. I love many of the herding breeds and actually adopted an Aussie several years ago. That Aussie was a typical aussie but his herding instinct while there was not as strong as it could have been.  He was also active but well behaved and was perfect for my lifestyle.  

ShelbyMomoftwo
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:27 AM
My daughter was somewhere around that age when we got her a puppy. Our wiener dog probably didn't make it a week before she dropped him & let's just say it was a big deal & I thought he was a goner! Luckily, he survived. They do have very fragile spines. The breed is listed as not good for children on television programs about various breeds. I did not know it when I got ours! He bit my daughter (nothing serious) a few times because she is a rough-houser & would cover his face with her hand while petting him. He also would act aggressive toward children at the park...sudden movements made him skittish. He ate our tile floor...chewed it up. I gave him to my mother. He really is a sweet dog, but he has already chewed stuff up at her house. It kind of sucks that they have to be mostly indoors. Get a big dog that she can run around outside with...that's my suggestion...a dog that will play frisbee & chase laser beams or whatever she might enjoy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)