Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cosleeping question

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:02 AM
  • 24 Replies
This question is for those of you that have coslept for several years... When did your kids transition to their own beds? And did the transition affect you and/or your child's sleep?

My son is 3 and we have happily coslept since he was born, but the older and bigger he gets I feel like we should try to transition into his toddler bed in his room. BUT when we give it a shot neither of us sleeps well and we're both more worn out and tired at the end of the day and I'm beginning to think it's not even worth trying. On average he sleeps in his bed for a couple of hours, while i toss and turn and try to sleep, then when he comes in or I go get him, we sleep the rest of the night. Any suggestions on how to get over this hump?
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ThePinkRobot
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:03 AM
I recently gave up on getting my 3 year old into his bed. Now he sleeps in my bed but he has a floor bed made up right next to my bed & he will sleep there no problems if I want to move him. Which I end up doing when I bring my 3 month old into the bed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
megan479
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:03 AM

DS was like that as well.  it might help if you put a toddler bed for him next to yours, or some kind of little bed for him, and let him sleep there until he is used to sleeping on his own and then gradually transition him to his own room.  what worked for me though was to just put ds in his own room.  we got him his own big boy bed.  a full size, not a toddler bed, since he hated the toddler bed.  he still came into our room quite a bit, but it didnt take long for him to ourgrow needing to sleep with us most nights.  it took me a couple of weeks to become used to him not coming in in the middle of the night, but after that i slept much better.  lol, we only have a queen size, and dh is no pixie, so with a toddler and us, there isnt a whole lot of room.

carolina_gal
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:17 AM

No co-sleeping for us. Not much help.

abbymomo2
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:23 AM

My daughter started sleeping in her bed in her room  2 months after her 4th birthday. It was difficult to adjust for me, I kept waking up and kind of panicking until I realized that BOTH of them were in their own space. It took a couple of months before I started sleeping better, now I can sleep in whatever position I want, I can lay sideways if I feel like it. I get poor sleep when they end up in the bed with me now. My daughter knows if she has a nightmare, she's more than welcome to come into my bed and if the 2 year old wakes up, he comes in the bed, so some nights, I have NO room because they like to sleep pressed up against me. He's not going to want to sleep with you forever, so if you and he still want to cosleep, do it, nothing is being harmed.

Mommy2justone
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:31 AM

I found that my daughter slept better in a twin bed than a toddler bed and would toss and turn in the toddler bed. As soon as we got the twin bed she slept till about 4am in her own bed and comes into bed with us. Always has and we have a family bed, so we don't mind. But the twin bed did work better. Good luck

piwife
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:02 AM
With dd I found out I was pregnant when she was 16 mts so I had to move her out of my bed.I put a toddler bed next to my bed, I would let her fall asleep with me and then put her in my bed, then I let her fall asleep in her toddler bed. I then moved the her tod bed to the foot of my bed. Withen mts, I had her in her own room. She was about 20 mts when I finally got her out of my room. I still cuddle with her and stuff. Once she turn 3. I would just read her a story put music on and kiss goodnight. She is almost 5 now and has the same routine. With my son we went another route at 18 mts we bought him a bed, he got his own room and we started letting cry to sleep, we of course did cuddles and story time and music.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:03 AM
My dd has a queen size bed and my ds a twin size.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SxyPanamami83
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:05 AM
My dd id 3 and still sleeps with us. she has times where she will sleep in her bed but most mights its still with us. I really dont mind because soon enough she wont want to.cp.sleep anumore. Im expecting in dec but will not be co sleeing this time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fatcat0908
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:06 AM

I only coslept until my kids could make it through the night (6+ hours) on their own. Then it was off to the crib for them. Usually around 4 months old or so.

fatcat0908
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:07 AM

I'd try a routine to transition over to bed time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)