Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Horrible day in court... *vent* and child support question.

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:55 AM
  • 21 Replies
Today me and my sons dad Ryan went to court over custody and child support. Ryan wanted more custody so he didn't have to pay more child support. Well they gave me full custody with weekends with Ryan. That really made him mad so he told me after court that he wants to sign over his rights. He said it would "be for the best". I know that's not why. I'm pretty sure if you sign over your right you don't have to pay child support. I'm heart broken and sick that he would do that. How could you just give up your baby at 16 months and pretend nothing happened? I'm freaking out about child support also. I know that might be selfish but I really don't want to drop out of school. I can't afford daycare on my own. My school has a free daycare for the moms that go there but if I were to pick up a job after school I'd have no money for daycare on top of everyday essentials. I'm so stressed. I just can't believe how how you could want nothing to do with YOUR baby! I came home and cried. Every time I think about I get emotional. I don't know what to do.

My question is can the judge still make him pay child support even if he signs over his rights? And if not do you know my options? Thank you.
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LILY581
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:02 AM

No he doesn't pay child support. Signing over your rights means you are no longer legally tied to the child. They can't make you pay child support for a child that you have no rights to. 

The only child support they will still have to pay is any amount that was overdue. If they owed $1,000. at the time they sign over their rights they still have to pay that money owed but they don't have to pay from the moment their rights are terminated.

when you sign over your rights, you are NOT still the parent of the child, not in the eyes of the law, maybe by blood but that's it. Why do you think once someone signs over their rights then another man is able the adopt the child?

Men cannot sign over their rights just to get out of support. A man cannot just decide he wants to sign over his rights. The mother would have to agree with it. I've never heard of such a thing where a person can decide to give up parental rights by their own will if the other parent doesn't agree. Who in their right mind would sign over their rights to make any decisions or see the child but still pay child support?

LILY581
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:05 AM

and it also goes case by case sometimes they do still make them pay 

mcclellanlass
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:06 AM

In AZ, it means simply that. Once you sign over your rights, you don't ever have to pay a single penny, and no one can ever come after you for it. 

BUT it also means that he has no right to ever come around and be in the childs life. In fact in AZ you can't come with in so many miles, etc.

Double edged sword though. Did he say it out of anger or does he mean it?

I would be emotional too!

Hugs! I hope you find answers! 

Kaylawv2
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:08 AM
here in wv a parent cant sign over their rights unless someone is willing to adopt the child. Im pretty sure thats the standard in most states.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
india_haven
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:10 AM
well here n tennessee the law is that a man cannot bastarize a child which means they cannot sign over their rights unless the mother is married & their husband agrees 2 adopt yur child(ren).. It might b the same way n yur state. Check it out & make sure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs_Incredible
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:14 AM

As far as I know, he can't just give him up just to not pay support, someone else has to be in place for him to do that.  Sad that he's willing to sign away the rights to be involved in his child's life ever just to not pay support :(

princess9510
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:15 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm pretty sure he was serious. Were in NV so I'll have to check.
princess9510
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:19 AM
Quoting Mrs_Incredible:

As far as I know, he can't just give him up just to not pay support, someone else has to be in place for him to do that.  Sad that he's willing to sign away the rights to be involved in his child's life ever just to not pay support :(

I know. It makes me wonder how he really felt over this last year. I thought we could prove some teen parents statistics wrong but he's just a joke and it makes me not want him in my life or my sons life period...
india_haven
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:24 AM
r yu a teen mom?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
princess9510
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:30 AM
Quoting india_haven:

r yu a teen mom?

Yes. I'm 16 he's 17
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)