Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Underinsured and Needing Medical Attention

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:11 AM
  • 30 Replies

I've been battling an infection for several days, and the OTC med hasn't helped. I only have catastrophic medical insurance with a $7500 deductible, so I'd have to pay out of pocket to step in the door of my doctor's office. Does anyone know if a way to get lower cost medical care? I'm miserable; I can't let this go any longer.

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
freshmom88
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:12 AM
Urgent care
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ELFs_Mommy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:14 AM
Urgent care. Or you might be able to find a free clinic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:16 AM

How much is it to be seen at your doctor's office?

Check out an urgen clinic in the area. They're often cheaper than Urgent Care. Most are seen on a first come first serve basis. I see one, it was $80 the first time, but only $50 each time after that.

wishbearmom
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:21 AM

I checked. A base visit is $130, comprehensive is $179!

Quoting Kiwismommy19:

Check out an urgen clinic in the area. They're often cheaper than Urgent Care. Most are seen on a first come first serve basis. I see one, it was $80 the first time, but only $50 each time after that.

KayDziedzic
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Worst case scenario, if you're stuck with a big bill you can usually get a payment arrangement with a small monthly payment amount and no interest. Call the billing office as soon as you get the bill. I had a $600 radiology bill I was able to pay $10/month on. 

Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Damn, that's crazy! I'd look through the yellow pages and find some urgent clinics. They do charge more for first time patients, but then it's a lot less for repeat patients.

Quoting wishbearmom:

I checked. A base visit is $130, comprehensive is $179!

Quoting Kiwismommy19:

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:26 AM

What about one of those clinics in Walgreens and CVS? 

jessnjosh87
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:26 AM

I would just go and make payment arrangements.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:28 AM

urgent cares or clinics.  Good luck.

hws060504
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:29 AM

I would look at CVS Minute Clinic.  But don't put this off, regardless.  If you need to make payment arrangements, so be it, but you need to take care of yourself and get treatment so that it doesn't get worse and you really DO end up with a catastrophic bill!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)