Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Forced exersize as punishment?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:33 AM
  • 36 Replies

Another post mentioned this, and hubby and I have talked about it.  So, I just wondered about your take on it.

My hubby thinks "forced exersize" is a great idea for punishment for our three boys.  Or that it will be, when they get a bit older.  His claim is that the reason they misbehave is that they have too much energy and not enough of an outlet for it.  Really, our kids are very well-behaved...especially for three little boys (ages 2, 4, and 6).  The biggest thing is that they wrestle all the time, fight like crazy, and won't help clean up.  Hubby thinks that it would be a great help to just tell them to go run a few laps or something when they get to wrestling or misbehaving. 

It makes sense to me that they do misbehave due to too much energy, but I am not sure I could do it.  I HATE to exersize, and I don't want them to view it as punishment.  Hubby was a Marine---so I am sure that is part of his reasoning.

So, what do you think?

Also, let me add---we have no plans to acually make this a punishment method.  He owuld never make a decision like this without my okay, and I would never okay something this "out there" without a lot of research. 

This is purely for opinion.

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EsmeVincent
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:37 AM

well I would say when they are older(like double digits) yea that would be great but as of now I dont' really think that would be good.  I mean you want them to like to exersize, not hate it.

my4kidsrock2
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:37 AM

We used push-ups as a punishment for our now 17yo son when he was younger and wouldn't go to bed. It worked great. It might not be for everyone but it worked for us.

starzylady04
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:40 AM
My kids love to excersize! Lol so it wouldn't work as punishment!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2LandL
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Well, yeah, I did say whent hey were older, I think.  If not--then yeah we'd wait till they were older.  And yeah--I def want them to enjoy exersize, I hate it and really wish I liked it.

Quoting EsmeVincent:

well I would say when they are older(like double digits) yea that would be great but as of now I dont' really think that would be good.  I mean you want them to like to exersize, not hate it.

xRockaBrittanyx
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:42 AM

I think it should be used more as a preventative measure than a punishment. Using it as a punishment can cause them to resent exercising at all, and who would want that? Instead, you (general term) see your kids getting a little rambunctious, why not go "Hey, let's go play a game of football" and get the energy going, instead of waiting for their energy to turn negative and then punishing them for it.. with exercise?

Kiwismommy19
by Diamond Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:43 AM

My kid loves to run, and will actually run laps around the room or yard herself when she has energy so I know this wouldn't work for us! But I can see how it would work for some. Maybe phrased as an energy outlet and not a punishment.

SouthTxPrincess
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:44 AM
My df parents would make them run do push UPS ect. As a punishment when they were tweens and continued ad they got older it really worked for them. His dad was in the navy I wonder if its a military mind set Kwim?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KayDziedzic
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:45 AM

My dad did that with me when I was about 10 and I hated him for it.

KayDziedzic
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Quoting xRockaBrittanyx:

I think it should be used more as a preventative measure than a punishment. Using it as a punishment can cause them to resent exercising at all, and who would want that? Instead, you (general term) see your kids getting a little rambunctious, why not go "Hey, let's go play a game of football" and get the energy going, instead of waiting for their energy to turn negative and then punishing them for it.. with exercise?

mom2LandL
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Yeah, that is my thought too.  Why don't we make sure they stay active enough that they don't act out then? 

Quoting xRockaBrittanyx:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)