Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meet the teacher disappointment. PIOG

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:03 PM
  • 18 Replies

Well last night was meet the teacher night at DD school. We are new to district and it was interesting to see how dd new school is going to be. I was not impressed at all. I am trying to keep an open mind but still I'm still a little unhappy about dd teacher. DD is ADHD and has anxiety problems and I am hoping for a great understanding teacher this year.

Meet the teacher we get there and walk in I see another parent signing their child in so I got in line. I see a lady walking around the room and just assume it is a parent due to the fact of not being acknowledged. To find out it was DD teacher. There was a note on the board that asked for school supplies be seperated into buckets and that parents feel out a few first day of school forms and leave them. So I do this finally the teacher says oh I can take those ask a few questions about how dd was getting home and that was it. So DD and I walked around the school to see the cafeteria and gym. Another parent told the teacher they were knew to the district and the teacher told the parent well we will deal with it Monday. Before leaving we went back to DD class and asked the teacher where dd was to go after getting dropped off and she says it will be discussed the first day of school. WTH luckily I can walk DD to class but I have an unsettling thought about the teacher. I will give it time but the teacher was not entusiastic or even like she cared to be there.

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sweets27
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:16 PM
This is what it was like for me Wednesday too. It was like this last year too. I don't really think its a big deal though. I didn't go so I could get to know the teacher just so my son could see her and see his classroom. When ever I had questions last year I would email his teacher or I would send a note in his folder. we just went over forms and where he would sit that was all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:08 PM

I am not seeing the big deal.

jabs54
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:15 PM

For sure it would be nice to see a teacher make eye contact and act enthusiastic about meeting your child.  I've raised 3 kids so I've had my share of bad teachers.  I have also been wrong with my first impressions so hopefully this teacher will end up being one you like!

mamakenzi
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:54 PM

Quoting jabs54:

For sure it would be nice to see a teacher make eye contact and act enthusiastic about meeting your child.  I've raised 3 kids so I've had my share of bad teachers.  I have also been wrong with my first impressions so hopefully this teacher will end up being one you like!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3HappylKidds
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 12:02 AM
Last year my son in kindergarten his teacher told me..because his birthday is a couple days before school starts that he may not be ready yet i should wait another year..they will be learning how read an write.. I was like well..my son can read and write words and his entire full name... She was like oh. Then she says well hes really small for his age some parents wait another year for them to grow he might be teased!! I was like wtf!! I refused to hold him back!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jenn981478
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 12:24 AM
Mom to just 1- my problem was it would be nice to be acknowledged and the fact she didn't bother to introduce herself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Celtic_Dragon
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 2:56 AM

Teachers are pretty laid back at my school the first "meet the teacher" nights. They usually introduce themselves. You said there was another parent in the room when you entered. Maybe she was focused on that parent at the moment?

Teachers are super busy the first couple weeks before and after school starts. There is a lot of things to get done and an entire classroom to set up for the new school year. I wouldn't be worried. She was likely just caught up in being a busy person that evening. I hope you and your daughter have a great year at the new school!

NookBoookMom
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 8:45 AM

we homeschool but last time we had to meet and greet , it went excately like that, she told everyone to divide up the supplies , we had to find our kids cubby's and everything by ourselves, needless to say the 1st week  7 children were put on either the wrong bus or missed the bus.

SnowWhieQueen
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2011 at 9:36 AM

ooh wow..you can hope .. maybe she was really stressed and having a bad day...good luck..my ds goes this week...

mommy_rios
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 9:39 AM
I would have an unsettling feeling to but hopefully she turns out to be a good teacher.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)