Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

newborn hearing screen...Piog

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:21 AM
  • 8 Replies
Hi ladies I hope someone can give me some insight on this. When my son took his hearing test when he was first born (August 2nd) they told me that he failed the left side. The said it was common and its usually because of amniotic fluid in the ear and they scheduled a retest. Well we went yesterday (to the hospital) and he still failed on the left side. Now they are sending us to have it
repeated at his pediatricians office. I'm getting worried that my baby can't hear out of his left ear and I can't help but wondering if its my fault...maybe I sould have eaten more healthier or maybe I should have taken my prenatals and iron more often. I just feel like its my fault. Have any of you had a child fail the hearing test in the beginning and have the results change for the better later on????
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Rlambert6002
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:52 AM

I know it's scary but just know that if he is hearing impaired then the earlier you find out the better. My oldest dd is hearing impaired (profoundly deaf in the right ear and mild loss in the left). She's 20 and they didn't do the newborn hearing screenings back then so we didn't find out until she was 6. She has actually done very well through life and people generally don't even know she's hearing impaired unless she tells them. All of my children in the past few years since they started the newborn screening have passed, but with referrals since I already have a child with hearing loss. My now 2 year old passed the newborn hearing screening but has failed several hearing tests since then. He'll fail 2 or 3 then pass one, then fail another couple of times, then pass. They said they believed his was due to fluid build up behind the ear drum since it comes and goes (my dd's is nerve damage) but they are keeping an eye on it. Perhaps your son still has fluid build up behind the ear drum? I hope all turns out okay for you, but just keep in mind that if he does have a loss he can still have a normal childhood and life, especially with today's technologies.

Rlambert6002
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Oh, and hearing loss in infants is not caused by the mother's prenatal diet so don't beat yourselup about that momma!

LancesMom
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Hugs! I am sure its something that can be fixed!

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Its not your fault at all but something he and you might have to deal with.  One ear will probably not hinder him much either. 

nellebutter
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:45 PM
Thank you ladies Rlambert6002 I feel so much better now I just felt that it was my fault because I was on different meds aside from my prenatals and I am so terrible with taking meds daily. And with all the things my ob said could go wrong if I don't take my iron I just thoughtthis was a result of something I did.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs_Incredible
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:01 PM

My son was almost completely deaf (profound hearing loss) in both ears until he was nearly one.  It took a lot of figuring out, but basically he had fluid built up in his ears from birth, around 6 months started ear infections.  There was so much fluid his eardrums could not function.  2 sets of ear tubes later (and 2 years of speech therapy) you wouldn't know it at all.  It is NOT your fault.  In the grand scheme of things, he's healthy and didn't fail both sides so just be vigilant and get answers.  Good luck :)

Mrs_Incredible
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:02 PM

Oh, I should mention my son is now 6 years old is on par for his age speech wise (he still has trouble with his Rs) and is in the advanced academic program.  His hearing didn't keep him back one bit :)

mommy2cristian
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Be grateful that they're being diligent about following up & if it's confirmed at the doctor's office then you should be referred to an ENT.  My children's hearing is fine but when my oldest was a baby I thought he was deaf in his right ear.  I was doing those at home tests & was concerned.  During the hearing test I thought it was confirmed & was sitting there getting ready to cry.  Turns out he can hear but I just reminded myself that it was early so there were options.  You can't beat yourself up about it.  I hardly ate during my pregnancies & vitamins were taken maybe about a month during each pregnancy but my kids were born healthy.  It's not meant to be a rub in your face but I say it because there are moms on here who do everything right during their pregnancies & still have children born with problems.  You just never know but you do what you can when things happen.  Your son will be all right. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)