Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

6 month old not sleeping LONG

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:56 PM
  • 6 Replies

Ok let me say this real quick, not a troll. I left for a bit and deleted my old account now I'm coming back and had to make a new account.

My son is 6 months old tomorrow, for the past 3 months he has not wanted to sleep. He tosses and turns throughout the night, fusses, cries, throws temper tantrums and wants to stay awake for hours on end. 

During the day he doesn't want to take naps, I'm lucky to get a 30min nap out of him. But that's it.

Last 24 hours for example, he has slept -MAYBE- 8 hours. Doesn't want to take a nap.

Throughout the day (ALL DAY) he crawls around grunting, moaning, crying and rubbing his eyes but he refuses to sleep. 

He has the same bed routine every night, same time. He knows what to expect when going to bed. I lay him down with his blanket and pacifier and within a minute he is out. But then within an hour he's back away SCREAMING bloody murder. I calm him down and sometimes give him a bottle to help calm him as it seems sometimes thats the only thing that helps, and off to sleep he goes. I know he isn't hungry at this time either because he eats about 2hours before bedtime, so only 3 hours has passed, he eats every 4-4.5hours and he'll only take about an 1oz when I give it to him when he cries. 

Anyways. He goes to sleep wake back up about 3 hours later because he is tossing and turning, he won't cry at this point, but he will just lay there rubbing his eyes and moaning and groaning and will fight his sleep for about an hour-1.5hrs. This happens atleast 4 times at night. 

He'll typically eat a full bottle once a night. and instantly go back to sleep after he's done.

We've tried to give him a teddy to comfort him at night, something that we've slept with so it has our scent. we've tried co-sleeping thinking it might be seperation anxiety. Nothing seems to help. 

We've brought it up to his pediatrician, they couldn't care less. 

Anyone know what to do? Anyone have this problem? What did you do? My daughter never had this problem so I'm clueless

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jodyann2
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:59 PM
I've just co slept and nursed... so when my ds wakes up (he just turned 8 months.. he nurses and goes back to sleep. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamakenzi
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:59 PM

My daughter was like that.  She is 4 and still doesn't sleep as much as she needs too.  Talk to his pedi but they aren't going to do anything untl he is at least a year old.

ndmom01
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:02 PM
Hmmm, maybe try a music box or a lulliby cd. Try to create a different routine, change things up a bit.

Also my dd turns 6mo tomorrow!

Gl mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:16 PM

You've tried most things I'd suggest, maybe this one will help...

Quoting ndmom01:

Hmmm, maybe try a music box or a lulliby cd. Try to create a different routine, change things up a bit.

Also my dd turns 6mo tomorrow!

Gl mama!

Mrs_Incredible
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Sounds like either teething, ear infection, or growth spurt.  Sorry momma. 

2forKaty
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:30 PM

try tylenol right before bed incase he's teething. if he doesn't sleep better atleast you ruled one possible cause out.

you could try using a white sound machine to block out all noise, maybe he super sensative to sounds at night?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)