• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babysitting Question...

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:01 PM
  • 10 Replies

Would you let a 12 year old watch your children?

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy259
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Nope...I feel at 12 they are to young to watch my children...My oldest is 12 and I still won't let him babysit the younger children and they are 8 and 4

**EDIT**My situation is a little different though because of my DD she has health issues so i won't let anyone babysit unless they have a car, licence and know cpr and has training in using her breathing machine and can give meds

luvemboth
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:05 PM
I would for short amounts of time if I knew the 12 yo very well and he/she was very mature for his/her age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EsmeVincent
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:15 PM

depends on the child...if the child is a mature 12 then sure...I mean I use to baby sit my cousins and brother at 12 and got paid for it

-PB
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:26 PM

No.

Mrs_Incredible
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:49 PM

No.

bcbmami
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:50 PM
No
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs_Incredible
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:50 PM

I should clarify, I don't think a 12yo is old enough (no matter how mature) to be responsible solely for the care of another child.  12yo alone?  Depending on the 12yo, probably in short spurts (2-3 hours at a time).  12yo as a mother's helper?  DEFINITELY - can play with your kid while you're still in earshot.  But as a babysitter for when you and DH go out?  Nope. 

nellyb118
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:52 PM
No, I don't even think a 12 year old is mature enough to be home alone so there's no way I'd trust that a 12 year old could babysit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mstef99
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Yes if they were mature, that's when I started

Katenemsmom
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:54 PM
I have twice. The first time we came home and found both babysitter and her mom. So we figured she was not ready yet and never called again. My next sitter was 12 and worked out great. The first few jobs were during the day, gradually getting later and later. She is 17 now and impossible to book. The nice part about a 12 year old is that they always say yes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)